Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bring my muzzleloader inside each night as I guessing mostly everyone does. With it being cold outside and warm inside do you have an issue with condensation causing the pellets to get wet? As I remember in the past I would go awhile without reloading. I went out the other night (Sunday, raining hard) and decided to reload. The pellets were soaked and basically mush.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After a little research on the internet I found it should be ok unless the breach plug got wet. Which in my case it did on Sunday. Regardless I'm reloading. Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i would definately leave it outside. I even leave my centerfire rifle out until season is done to reduce condensation. My muzzy definately stays outside in my garage.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
968 Posts
QUESTION!!!!

Did you practice with leaving it loaded for multiple days then shooting it and testing accuracy? Especially with drastic temp changes?

PRACTICE LIKE YOU PLAY!

If you went from unloaded to shooting when sighting in, do the same when you go hunting. Accuracy comes hand in hand with consistency. The more things that you keep the same, the better your accuracy is going to be.

With almost any modern muzzleloader (especially with pellets), unloading/loading takes what... 2 min?

Is 2 Minutes of effort really worth taking a chance on accuracy?

Everyone says "Oh, it'll shoot fine" or "leaving it loaded won't matter"... they are likely right. However, we also hear tons of stories about people who lose deer even though they are SURE that their gun is "dead on at that distance." Don't be THAT guy.

Don't take chances. Spend the 2 minutes to unload/reload. It's no big deal and when that big buck walks out in front of you, you won't be guessing if the charge that you loaded 3 weeks ago is dry enough to fire correctly.

If anything, you owe it to the animal that you could potentially wound and send off to a life of misery.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
No! Either leave that gun outside or change out the pellets before you go out! Believe it or not but that little change in temperature from outside to the garage can and will cause condensation.

2 years ago before I figured this out (lessons learned hard way) I went out for a late season muzzleloader hunt after leaving the powder in since the end of rifle season. That weapon went in the barn and back out several times before that. Sitting in he stand on cold afternoon a nice buck came out 150uds away. I steadied the rifle and squeezed the trigger only to hear a POP. The primer went off but the powder didn't. I reloaded the primer twice and fired it with no detonation. I scramble looking for my tool to pull the breech plug out but realized I left that in the barn to. Once more I reloaded the primer hoping the spark dried it out enough to fire. Boom it goes off but only half the powder went. The buck finally had enough of my oversized cap gun and trotted back into the woods.

Last muzzledloader season I was walkin to the stand while walking out I thought about that instance and decided to stop and change it out. Thank goodness I did because the powder was mushy and wet when it came out. I shot a nice doe that night, if I didn't think about that I would of made the same mistake twice.

Bottom line, if it goes inside after a cold day of hunting, change it out even as a fail safe before heading back into the woods.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Think that's how I'm gonna go from now on. Just leave it in the garage. Thanks
He means when you unload it, normally you have to shove the ramrod down the bore and force the sabot and powder out. You can reuse the sabot just change the powder.

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire

·
Registered
35,749 Posts
Another source of possible condensation is a heated blind. I've noticed condensation on my rifle when I turn the heat on to thaw out the condensation on the windows from respiration. Very rarely do I hunt with heat on in the blind other than to clean the windows of frost. I'm in tight cover where it doesn't make sense to alert deer with a nose full of hot scent.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUESTION!!!!

Did you practice with leaving it loaded for multiple days then shooting it and testing accuracy? Especially with drastic temp changes?

PRACTICE LIKE YOU PLAY!

If you went from unloaded to shooting when sighting in, do the same when you go hunting. Accuracy comes hand in hand with consistency. The more things that you keep the same, the better your accuracy is going to be.

With almost any modern muzzleloader (especially with pellets), unloading/loading takes what... 2 min?

Is 2 Minutes of effort really worth taking a chance on accuracy?

Everyone says "Oh, it'll shoot fine" or "leaving it loaded won't matter"... they are likely right. However, we also hear tons of stories about people who lose deer even though they are SURE that their gun is "dead on at that distance." Don't be THAT guy.

Don't take chances. Spend the 2 minutes to unload/reload. It's no big deal and when that big buck walks out in front of you, you won't be guessing if the charge that you loaded 3 weeks ago is dry enough to fire correctly.

If anything, you owe it to the animal that you could potentially wound and send off to a life of misery.
No I don't load it a few days before I go to the range. Kthxbye

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have found that after being loaded once my poi changes by 2-3 inches at 100 yards because it doesnt seal as well. Load it a third time and on occasion I have had the primer push the charge a few inches up the barrel and not ignite
Good information! Thanks man! I changed the pellets, bullet and sabot just to be safe! Thanks!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts