Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering purchasing a muzzleloader but really dont know alot about them. I know Thompson Center is good but as much as I will use it I am not sure if I want to spend that much. What do you think would be the best option between $200-$300 and what you should I be looking for. Seems like you have to pay alot for a stainless steel barrell and was wondering if it is worth it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Yep, stainless is worth it! It will still rust mind you, you still have to clean it after shooting. Beware of some guns that look stainless and sell for less, they are nickel plated, not stainless....there is a difference. Lots of good guns in the price range. There are deals to be had on Knight's, even in stainless in that price range, and you can get a non stainless Omega for under $300...a great gun and a bargain to boot. You can also get a CVA Optima Pro or similar break action guns for well under $300. These guns are typically very good shooters, just don't look as nice as a T/C, and the fit and finish/quality of the materials isn't quit up to Knight/TC. The deer won't mind though, thats a promise! If you plan to use a scope, budget for quality optics and don't forget all the accesories and cleaning supplies you'll need. With gun, scope, rings, and supplies, you can eat up money quickly! It's well worth it though!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Blue and black Omega are 285.00 at wallmart. If you take good care of your firearms the blued barrel will be fine. Keep it clean and oiled on the off season.
Very nice gun for the money. My .02

·
Registered
157 Posts
Yeah you need to decide if your going to spend $300 on the gun or $300 on every thing. Perfect time to pick one up on sale though, i just bought a knight disc elite for $230. I dont think a stainless barrel is necessary though, mainly because you have to clean and oil either the same way, completely spotless :16suspect , EVERY time you shoot it. And i certainly support spending money on a scope. there is a ton of shock when you drop the hammer on one of these. mine carries a bushnell trophy 1.74-4x32. not the top of the line but a great scope at a reasonable price($119). but definatly hold a few before you chose, that's the main reason i shoot knight, that very well may make your decision.

·
Registered
8,439 Posts
Ya keep in mind when buying a smoke pole you are going to spend some coin on accessories. There is a lot of stuff to go with your gun, including ammo and powder! so much goes into it

I like my Knight, but the Omega's clean so much faster. I think the cheaper the gun the more complicated the cleaning process is. My knight can take upwards of 20 minutes to give a going through.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any of you guys use sidelocks? I have had very good results with a CVA bobcat. It's more a a pain in the butt to take care of but still a good gun.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I use a flintlock smoothbore 20 ga. for all game all seasons. It is more work to take care of than the inlines, but the satisfaction I get from using it makes it worth the effort. The range is more limited with a smoothbore than with a rifle, but to me that is part of the fun, using the skill to get close. Properly cared for a sidelock, and in my case a flintlock, will perform well in all weather conditions and will kill game just as dead as an inline, within its limits.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
I bought a CVA Optima Pro Mag. 29" fluted barrel, nickle coated. I paid 200.00 New (year ago), which was a great deal.
then i put a 3-12x 56mm scope on it.

I really like the ease of cleaning and the stock has that dip in it where your hand goes. I really like that too!

Shoots really good with 100grain powder and 245 powerbelt areotip's. I can shoot 200 yds, i haven't tried further yet. lol

Its my favorite out of all my guns.

·
Crazed Country Rebel
2,388 Posts
jbrannon2 said:
Any of you guys use sidelocks? I have had very good results with a CVA bobcat. It's more a a pain in the butt to take care of but still a good gun.

I mentioned in a parallel thread that I hunt with a CVA 50 cal Plainshunter with sidehammer that uses #11 caps. I love that gun! It shoots straight and does the job once you get it figured out.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I have been using a CVA staghorn for 4 yrs now, I paid $100. It is the cheapest one cva made at the time. I only use it a dozen or so times a year and it works fine. I have $40 tasco scope which is adequate also. I can keep a group the size of a softball or smaller @ 100 yards with very little practice each year with this gun. I have shot 2 deer with it now and it performed well on them. You can spend as much as you want on these guns and the increase in price does equate to increase in quality. But it sounds like you wont be using it all that much. If this is the case why spend the extra loot. For me I spend the most time in the woods with a bow in my hand so that is where my money goes. Just depends on what your own priorities are. Gander mountain has this gun in a kit for sale right now for $150.00. The kit includes a scope and mounting rings bullets, pyrodex etc., basically everything you need to go start shooting and sight it in. I regularly clean and take care of this gun and it is literally in as good as shape as the day I bought it. Thats my 2 cents I hope it helps.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
I shoot a TC New Englander 54 cal. sidelock and also own a CVA Kodiak Magnum inline in 50 cal. I like them both equally although the Kodiak is topped with a scope and surely cleans a lot easier than the sidelock.

The TC in 54 cal. shooting hand cast maxi balls benchrested will put 3 shots in a playing card at 100 yards with iron sights. Not too shabby. Almost shoots as good a group as the scoped Kokiak.

Both were not that expensive. Kodiak was a little over $300 and truthfully I can't remember what I paid for the TC as its about 15 years old...

Have taken several deer with both but I surely love using the 54 cal. sidelock. Have taken several deer out to 100 yards with pass thru shots on each. The 54 is an awesome beast.........

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
CVA optima mag. All the way. If you are going to buy a muzzleloader. Then you want one with the break action design. Why you ask? Because they are the easiest to clean. You'll apreciate this aspect when you sighting in your gun.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I will probably rile some people up here but I would not burn a CVA in my fireplace. I have seen more failure and issues with these guns than all others combined.

I love my TC Newenglander but you have to decide if you want to go traditional or extend your rifle season because a quality inline is just short of being a single shot centerfire.

You can get a 12 gage Barrel for a TC Newenglander and use the same gun all year long for some challenging small game pursuits. I have a pair so I don't need to swap barrels but that is only because I was looking for a 12 gage barrel and found the whole gun for 100.00 brand new. Total steal and I still smile when I hold that gun. A pair of Lefty Newenglanders and I have less than 300.00 bucks invested.

Blunder bustin em' is fun - you may become addicted so be careful what you get started.

Bob Urban

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the information. I think I will go with the T/C omega with the blued barrel. I can pick one up for $279. I figure with the right care it should last and seems to be a solid built gun with good reviews

1 - 14 of 14 Posts