Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondering how often to clean the bore when target practicing? should I do a complete cleaning with brush and patches or just swab it with patches between shots also what kind of solvent should I use for this and is it necesarry to fire off a few caps after each swabing to dry the bore out thanks I am new to muzzle loaders and not sure of the right way to go about it

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I run a dry patch down the barrel after every shot. You just don't want the fouling to affect the next slug out.

You don't want anything moist down there if you're continuing to shoot because it will adversely affect the pellets.

When I'm done for the day, I use a presoaked patch for muzzleloaders. But I wrap a dry patch around the pre-soaked patch. The patches of pre-soaks come apart pretty easily and leave threads down in my barrel.

I don't like using the wire brush adapter but I'll use it if I can't get the barrel clean with the patches.

I also bought this foamy stuff you're supposed to put down the barrel. The directions say to simply spray it down the barrel and let it dissolve over an hour or so. So far, I am not happy with the results so I've stopped using it.

As far as firing a cap, I fire one at the beginning of the day when I'm using the ML. That pretty much dries any remaining cleaning solution out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts