Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The movement to take mute swan control out of the hands of the DNR and the Fish and Wildlife Service and into to the hands of the bunny huggers in SE Mi. There is an online petition wanting to put the swan question to a vote.
Karen Stamper of Walled Lake, who is also the deputy treasure of Commerce Township, is the person behind the petition. The petition can be found at change.org. Let's hope this goes better than the dove hunt.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Looks like the petition was actually started in January 2011. It has recieved almost 3,000 "signatures". The most disturbing thing I read on the petition site was this:

GREAT news! Dr. John Grandy and Pat Ragan from the DC office of the Humane Society of the United States, along with Jill Fritz, our HSUS Michigan representative, want to meet individually with our group, the DNR, and local senators and state representatives next week regarding the mute swan issue here in Michigan.
Our meeting with HSUS will be Tuesday, June 12, 2012, in Lansing. The information is as follows:
Meeting about Michigan mute swan resolution
Tuesday, June 12, 2012
7:00 pm – 8:30 pm
Capital Area District Library
Gallery C (basement meeting room)
401 South Capitol Avenue
Lansing, MI 48933
http://www.cadl.org/news/locations/dlansing
We are trying to set up meetings with our local senators, can you please write a letter to your local senator and state representative requesting their help in stopping the mute swan slaughter. www.humanesociety.org/stateleglookup We will give them these letters when we meet with them.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Oh great the humane society is getting involved now! The mute swan season will probably coinside with the bear season in New Jersey now. That is one group that I can say that I HATE!!!!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
880 Posts
This made the news last night as well. Hopefully this thing is far enough along so the powers that be can just say....here's the facts, your too late, move along.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts