Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting back into tying and am wondering which flies you guys and gals feel are VITAL in Michigan? I have gotten better at tying 4-8 of the same flies as each one becomes better than the first. I just wonder which ones I should focus on tying. I fish mostly the White as well as some smaller creeks. Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hear is what I always have with my on the AuSable and Manistee:

12 and 16 Adams
16 Royal Wulff
16 Elk Hair Caddis
16 Hare's Ear Nymph
16 Pheasant tail nymph
10 Black wooly bugger
10 Mickey Finn

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mparks, thanks for the list. Now, out of the ones you listed, could you rank them from least to most difficult? I would like to start out with the less difficult ones. I have a number of woolies but that is about it. THANKS!!!

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Hunter333 said:
mparks, thanks for the list. Now, out of the ones you listed, could you rank them from least to most difficult? I would like to start out with the less difficult ones. I have a number of woolies but that is about it. THANKS!!!
This is roughly how I would ran them from easiest to hardest. I'm no expert tier but the dries tend to take the longest for me. Takes me longer to fumble with the wings and hackle on a traditional dry fly.

10 Mickey Finn
10 Black wooly bugger
16 Hare's Ear Nymph
16 Pheasant tail nymph
16 Elk Hair Caddis
16 Royal Wulff
12 and 16 Adams

·
Registered
364 Posts
Black bunny leach (streamer hook 6-10)
Olive wooly bugger (4-10)
Copper john (12-16)
Zoo Cougar (streamer hook 4-8)
Steelhead bugger (6-10)
Zug Bug (12-16)
Soft Hackle (12-18)

For dries
Blue Wing olives (16-20)
Tan and black elk hair caddis (14-18)

Most of those are pretty easy to tie, the zoo cougar may give you a little trouble because of spinning the deer hair, and the blue wing olives give me trouble simply because of the small size.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is a great selection of bugs. You have definitely listed the best of the best. I am not familiar with the "borchers"? Can I see a picture, or get a recipe? The fly that is not on the list that has always produced for me is the Goddard Caddis #16,#18.

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Borcher's drake:
Thread - black or brown
Wings - dun hackle tips
Body - turkey or pheasant tail fibers, wrapped
Tail - moose mane (3 or 4)
Hackle - brown and grizzly mixed

Not too difficult to tie, can also be easily tied parachute-style, but substitute your favorite para post material (e.g., poly yarn, calf tail,etc.) for the hackle tips. The body works best if you start with the tips of the turkey or pheasant tail fibers tied in at the bend of the hook, then wrapped forward (works great with a rotary vice) - if done properly, you should get a nice taper.

A good imitation for just about any of the dark mayflies you may encounter.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I say start out with with a # 22 bwo, after you master that anything else is cake:D :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts