Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any good inland lakes to catch musky in Michigan? This summer I was going to try and catch my first musky.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
By Grand Rapids there is Murray Lake. It is NE of town past Cannonsburg. Austin Lake is south of K-Zoo. Where are you at???

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Lake St Clair is hands down the best around. Shallow and it can get rough real quick out there. You can cast the north end and troll in the south. I have heard the Ontario waters are best for trolling at the south end of the lake. Michigan Muskie Alliance is our site.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lake St. Claire, hands down. The best Muskie Fishery in the World!!!
Belleville lake has Muskie, but I've never or seen or heard of one anywhere close to 42". I've caught them from shore, in the Huron River, right below the Belleville dam as well, up to 35".
Prepare for 10,000 casts. I'd hire a charter if you don't have a big boat and huge assortment of Dog-Turd lures. I don't consider it cheating....well, sorta :corkysm55
Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
For somewhere close you can't beat LSC, it has a great muskie fishery.

If you're looking to make a little trip of it, you can try Whitmore Lake - it used to be stocked with Tiger muskie.

I've also heard Sanford lake up north produces some monsters each year.

You might also want to check the Master Angler entries from the last couple of years on the DNR website to see what other lakes might be giving up some nice 'skis.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Radar420 said:
For somewhere close you can't beat LSC, it has a great muskie fishery.

If you're looking to make a little trip of it, you can try Whitmore Lake - it used to be stocked with Tiger muskie.

I've also heard Sanford lake up north produces some monsters each year.

You might also want to check the Master Angler entries from the last couple of years on the DNR website to see what other lakes might be giving up some nice 'skis.
For what it's worth, the probability is very low that Whitmore, or any of the lakes receiving tiger plants in the early '90s, have any hybrid muskies remaining. It's been well documented that this species has a relatively short life span which, in northern tier states, is typically less than ten years. If you want to have even a remote chance at a tiger, you're better off working in St. Clair where there's a remote chance that hybridization could occur naturally. Overall, Michigan's best bet for a tiger is Lac Vieux Desert, which is at the western end of the UP.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
...to choose is Lake Hudson or Hudson Lake. It has been stocked. I do not have the numbers that have been put in there though. You could ask on the MMA site. It is in se Michigan, south of Ann Arbor. Ohio fisherman come up to fish it, it is popular. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If you're in Warren, then, yes LSC. Second behind that would be Sanford. But thats north of you a ways. If you're like me on the West side of the state, then Thornapple is far and away the best. There is also Bankson, Osterhaut, Ovid, and Campau.

If you are in W Mich, like I said, like me and wanting to get your first taste of a 'ski and not really caring about size yet, I would say that Thornapple or Campau would be your best bets. In Campau, you're not going to get anything over about 36", but its rare to not get bit and its a small lake. On Thornapple, you'll most likely get bit too, but there are some HUGE fish in there!

Oh, and yes, Lake Hudson is good too if you're going to troll. I can't stand to troll and can't stand the fact that the whole lake is slow no wake, but that is a really good musky lake too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts