Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I have been looking through old posts and have found some really great info however I am looking to really get into Musky fishing and want to pose a few questions to the musky pros. First when musky fishing do you prefer to run planer boards or just flat line troll or prop wash troll? When you are trolling are you trolling over weed beds on the weed lines or in open water? I have tried flat line trolling around 3-4 mph with no luck is this a good speed? Are there any waters on the US side that are as good as the Canadian side for Musky (not looking for your honey hole just a place to start like West shore of anchor bay or channels coming out of river or dumping grounds etc). I gather from the info that I have read so far that musky should be in similar areas as smallmouth this time of year as there is lots of forage for all the fish to feed on is this correct thinking? Any other tips someone can provide would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Not a troller, but run planner boards, one key to trolling is to cover ground. If you have 2 rods in prop wash and 2 straight behind boat you are only covering a 10 foot strip or so. Need to spread the lures out.

There are always musky on the US side of the lake. Just as the water warms more of the bigger musky move to the CDN side of the pond. Early in the season and late in the season are the best times to troll US waters for quality fish.

·
Registered
631 Posts
planer boards, run as many rods as you legally can. 3 per fisherman on US side. Spread um out!

I like to fish near an inlet this time of year. Bait fish and post spawners are moving. I wouldn't go inside 12 feet of water though. You can find the inlets on a map on the US side. (DR, Clinton, Salt, PIkes Creek, Milk, N M S channels, spill) You get the point.

As the water warms, head deeper toward shipping channel.

Find underwater structure or contours.

Anything more and all the muskie die hards will shoot me... good luck

·
Registered
2,432 Posts
Its very easy. Start by targeting walleye and troll crawler harnesses. Perch pattern blades have been dynamite. 1.2-1.4 has been our best SOG. Occasionally you even catch a bonus walleye.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All good info. Thanks for the replies. Going to try again on Thursday going to try a few different things.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
What kinda line and leader are u guys running for muskie?
Trolling is usually done with 30lb mono and the leader is heavier (not sure what lb) and is fluorocarbon line. From have I have seen most trollers tie up their own leaders. The leader has snap swievels at each end, a weight is placed on the snap that hooks to the main line. It helps to keep the lure down in the water column and to catch weeds so the stay off the lure. Most leaders are 5-6 foot, and shouldn't be longer than the rod r it makes netting the fish harder than it already is.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I would not run any lower than 60lb floro leader.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Trolling, 30-50lb hard mono for leader. Casting, flouro 100lb at least and I would not use flouro for jigging, rubber swimbaits, or topwater. Single strand Tooth Proof 180lb w/stealth tackle welded ring to split ring on bait.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Good trolling leaders here:
http://www.stealthtackle.net/index.php?route=product/category&path=6
I like the length, weight rating and hardware on them, I prefer 100+ lb for trolling simply for the death roll bite offs, its not worth losing a bait, and worse killing a fish trying to be sneaky with smaller leaders. They are not line shy critters!
If you contact stealth they will usually send you leaders for casting that I can never seem to fins on line. I like 174 lb single strand with a swivel on the line side, and a welded ring and split ring to bait on the other (like Corey K mentioned) for everything but trolling.
I will also use some titanium braided leaders like these:
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Terminator-PreRigged-Braided-Titanium-Leaders
75 and 100 lb for smaller twitch baits and other things like the Talonz little claw.

Also for the speed part, change it up till you get hit. I usually only fish smaller waters but have found some days at 3.5 mph worked and other days 8 worked... problem with over 5 mph is that your lures have to be turned really well!

Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts