Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I still consider myself as somewhat new to Musky fishing since this is my fifth season. The first four years I caught 15 fish mostly jigging and a few casting. Last year the time on the water paid off and I increased my numbers to 25 fish. Well this weekend was the best ever for me. I took some time off work and went Muskie fishing Friday went 2/4, 0/2 on Sat, Sun went 3/5 and Monday went 5/6. The largest was a 44 incher. Most fish were low 40
s to high 30s and two fish were in the 20's. All fish were caught casting a 2 oz spinner bait which is why I lose a lot. It is hard to keep the fish in the water and those damn head shakes. Fishing generally where I jig just further up the break. Generally between 9-4 feet of water and look for cabbage weed. You must be willing to clean weeds and clean weeds. It is worth it to me. I had probably as many follows as caught fish. I'm still working on my figure 8 since only one fish was caught at the boat. The water was so clean I could see the fish take the bait at least 20 or 30 yards from the boat. I love the Detroit River and I'm very glad there is so little fishing pressure at least for Musky. Probably why I don't post much since I don't want to many people to find out how great it is. it's seems just a handful of Musky guys on this site and most people just don't have the patients for it.

·
Super Moderator
37,288 Posts
Those numbers are awesome! Best I've heard of for the river. Good job! Heck that's 4 more in a weekend than I caught this season lol.

I can't wait to get back out... I don't spend enough time casting due to confidence in jigging.

Was thinking about your lost fish on spinner baits... have you tried using a treble? Might result in too many weeds, but would definitely increase your strike/ land ratio. And I'm sure your hooks are super sharp... I've been obsessive about that since I've started and there is no doubt it helps.

Sounds like you're fishing solo as well... I know from experience this is difficult when trying to land a nice fish. All things considered it sounds like you're doing great. Last yr was very poor so if you didn't get many, keep that in mind.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Those are some great #'s imo as well !....any 40"er is good all day long for me, lol.....you are on a fast learning curve for experience for 5 years !.....keep your locations secret !....imho !!.....

last time we casted, 1st hour was just enough chop on the water that you could not really make the weed beds out and lower light being early.....then the wind calmed down and it was perfect, just like you said....we only had a 1/2 hr left.....but got the little fish, had a blow up and 2 nice fish follow all in 20 mins.....

One of the most awesome ways to fish for em is just that which you said....clean calm water, like your looking at an underwater forest, which you are, to me.....and the sight fishing is what I love !.....good stuff....

Jigging for me is the challenge and 1 on 1 hook set and always the potential of bigger fish....% wise....I have yet to get one of those "rip the rod" out of our hands hit's on a Bondy !......guy's in the boat have up at Peche......but mine have all been......good smacks, lol......and just taps.....

And for trolling....I love seeing the rod double over and the sing of the drag !.....miss the peace & quiet though.....but sometimes my back needs a break, lol.....and how else are you going to catch a Musky while eating a sandwich ??.....lol.....!!......

Big fish do come all 3 ways.....a 52" I got casting isn't my longest or heaviest....but it is my favorite !!.....

Best of luck with that "Fever".....lol.....cheers.....

·
Super Moderator
37,288 Posts
The fever is expensive... lol.

The last fish I got was a very hard hit. My assumption is the fish hit downward rather than horizontal or upward, or maybe grabbed and turned real fast. I was disappointed I wasn't looking toward my rod tip when the fish hit or I'd have had it on video. Even then I think it would have been hard to tell due to my cat-like hook set reflexes lol.

Last yr I had one feel like a brick dropped on my line. Dropped the rod tip a good 6-8" when it hit. Didn't feel as hard a hit as this most recent one but it was a lot better than the typical smacks.

My least favorite is when they hit it from underneath... go to drop the bait from its peak and line just jumps and goes slack. Set it quick! Had 2 this year in a row after none last yr. Got em both :)

They gotta be hitting awful hard to BEND the Bondy bait though... can't believe they can bend it and not hook.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What has helped my learning curve the most was going out with Jon Bondy. He grew up on the river and use to cast but wants to go after the big one's and found jigging was the best way to go for 50 inchers. I have been out with him a few times now and have enjoyed every time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts