Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my staff members lives just outside of midland and has a pond.

She has 3 muskrats that are living in her pond. Her husband does not hunt or fish..or trap.

Would anyone have an interest in trapping these muskrats and how do I make a connection so one of my michigan sportsman firneds can bennefit?

Is it worth someones time to trap these little beggers out of her pond.

Matthew

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Am I barking up the wrong tree?

Do people still trap muskrats? Is it worth someones time?

I am not in the know and was not looking to insult anyone.

I can always dispose of them myself...but I didnt know if they were worth anything to anyone.

Thoughts?

EP

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
You're not insulting anyone Matt it's just that it's pretty late in the year to be concerned about the rats especially in a still-water situation. I live in Midland and right now I'd bet there is well over 1' of ice on her pond. Due to that fact, it'd be pretty tough to try and locate the rats, let alone catch them. How about you have her pm me next Oct. and I'll take a look to help her when season opens.

As an added thought, what side of Midland does she live?

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Have her or you pm me with the particulars. The little guys aren't going to last long I expect before they get recycled. They are out in the yard feeding for a reason!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Yeah it seems like if they are out in the yard feeding then that probly means that they don't have anything to eat in the pond. Guess they were too busy playing this summer/fall to put up any food or they didn't find enough to store for the whole winter. Which probly means that they won't last thru the winter considering that it is only the first half of Jan. Good luck with the rats seldom, it sure dosen't look like it will be all that hard to add a couple of rats to your catch.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Yeah it seems like if they are out in the yard feeding then that probly means that they don't have anything to eat in the pond. Guess they were too busy playing this summer/fall to put up any food or they didn't find enough to store for the whole winter. Which probly means that they won't last thru the winter considering that it is only the first half of Jan. Good luck with the rats seldom, it sure doesn't look like it will be all that hard to add a couple of rats to your catch.
It looks like they've been froze out since we had that drought and it's been very cold. I've seen similar circumstances twice before. Once up on the Mills Flooding where the shallow secondary marches dried up late in the fall and the rats stayed. My son and I trapped the devil out of them in snow trails and that was during the "$9+" year in the 80's;);). The owls were making a real killing because all around one marsh under the trees there were lots and lots of owl pellets with rat hair.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you for calling her and following up. I appreciate the help and hope that it is mutually benneficial for both of you.

Class act..thanks

Matthew

(EP)

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
It looks like they've been froze out since we had that drought and it's been very cold. I've seen similar circumstances twice before. Once up on the Mills Flooding where the shallow secondary marches dried up late in the fall and the rats stayed. My son and I trapped the devil out of them in snow trails and that was during the "$9+" year in the 80's;);). The owls were making a real killing because all around one marsh under the trees there were lots and lots of owl pellets with rat hair.
It is as I anticipated and have experienced previously. While I'm not a big marsh or river rat tapper, I have had experience trapping rats in little isolated, backwoods floodings. The property owner's pond water level dropped drastically due to our fall drought leaving the rats high and dry, then it froze hard. Hard enough to literally freeze out their food supply(cattail roots) that's why the little guys are eating the lawn grass.

No fat to flesh off these pelts and the muscle mass has shrunk to the point that the connective tissue is disintegrating. I''m just there to help Mother Nature get her job done quicker!

So it goes in nature and it is what it is!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts