Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm an avid muskie fisherman but only on a casting basis. However, I will be taking my father this sunday to Anchor Bay and at his request will be trolling for ski's of which I've never done before. So basically I'm asking for advice on what baits, speeds, etc. I'm not asking for any particular locations to fish, although those would be greatly appreciated, but if someone can pass on their knowledge or tid bits of info it most certainly would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
37,812 Posts
How big a boat? How good is the charting on your GPS? Are you comfortable with working very, very close to kicking up mud? (In other words it is inevitable?) :evilsmile

·
Super Moderator
37,812 Posts
Wonderful..........perfect size boat. :evilsmile
Check your PM's.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Josh, like you I'm an avid caster but was a hard core troller for years. I dont fish Anchor Bay I fish the shore shore and Detroit river but can offer a little advice. This time of year all the baits we run are 9"-13" with 10" baits being the most commonly run. 10" Jakes and Believers, 9" and 12" Big Game Lures as well as with 13" straight Believers are my top trolling baits. A lot depends on water clarity as to what I run for bait size and colour. Speeds are in the 2.4-2.8 range. I use my GPS heavily this time of year as we troll a lot of breaks from very shallow into deep water. The trick is to find the bait, once you've found that you've found the big fish. If your fishing an area and see shad or Muskie on the surface dont be afraid to run your baits tight to the boat. This time of year be get a lot of fish with 4-10ft of line out. With out knowing the area your fishing or going into a lengthy post that's about all I have to offer. Hope it helps

Good Luck and Good Fishin'
Tim

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roughneck, I'm up for trailering the boat to any place. I'm headed out of Jackson so detroit is actually closer but anchor bay is where I always do my casting.

·
Banned
2,145 Posts
Troll the channel at Grassy and the Strawberry bar, 8-10 fow. Start 3.0- 3.2 mph and see what they want. 10" Nils and Ziggies in brown and black colors. Assuming your running boards keep them short, 10-20' and no weight. Dont expect alot of fish, but they should be pigs..

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Bear in mind different lures run better at different speeds. As you change speeds look at how your baits are running, and change them as needed. Straight Nils, for example, run great in the low 3s mph, but really lose their action in the mid 2s and lower. Jointed Nils, Ziggies, etc., have higher action, and as such run better slower. Believers, Jakes, and Grandmas also run great at slower speeds, and could even serve as surface "twitch baits".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts