Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this warm weather has me thinking about one thing, the Muskies that are lurking.
I've got a few questions:
1. What do believe is the best tackle for fishing muskie(poles, line, lures etc.)?
2. Where are the best lakes and rivers to fish for Muskie(downstate and the U.P.)?
3. I've heard about a Muskie caught in Mascomot Bay(I believe thats the spelling) in Lake St. Clair last summer, that was 60+ inches., Does anybody know if this is true?
I got hooked last June when my buddy took me out to the Tahquamenon. I ended up catching two Muskies and lost one. The largest was 39in. but one hell of a fight! I loved it! I was using a Medium action jupiter with ten pound test. It had to be one of my greatest moments as a fisherman.

Just wondering.
Thanks,
Scrubby

G

·
Check out this crazy dudes web-site. Best site i've seen for muskie fishing.--------------http://www.muskie-lures.com/rocketman/index1.htm

[This message has been edited by jimbos43 (edited 02-01-2001).]

[This message has been edited by jimbos43 (edited 02-01-2001).]

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
Scrubby, There is now a good site for you to check out in Michigan that will connect you to two new musky clubs in your area. These guys are working their hearts out to improve the quality of the musky fishery in Michigan. The Michgian DNR is also on the verge of the opportunity to help the coolwater fishery facilities which will include the musky programs.
http://pub6.ezboard.com/bmiangler

·
Registered
12 Posts
Scrubby:
Good to see that you found the site K. I think you'll pick up some interest here as the weather gets warmer in the months to come. Keep that fever for the big ones!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, both sites look great! I've had my eye on Lake St. Clair since the end of summer and the action that I've heard that takes place on the lake from the muskies. I was actually really suprised about hearing that there were muskies in the lake. I thought the water would be too cold. Is it really shallow and weedy in some areas?
Have a good one.
Scrubby

G

·
Yep, St. Clair rarely get over 20 ft deep. Out by the shipping channel, and near the mouth of the Detroit River. Weeds? heck all over the place. Bad!!!! They get some real monsters out of there. Tried it once, using my downrigger rods, but the stress those muskie lures put on a rod is incredible. Especially when your trolling them at 4 mph in your propwash.

G

·
Scrubby,

Here's one from Whitmore lake in southeast michigan, caught by my dad. They have been planted here and we see them swimming in the shallows occasionally when bass fishing. This one took a small white grub and spinner on a five and half foot rod with six pound line. Quite a fight and landing him was fun too since we only had a trout fishing net in the boat. He was over 40" and is still swimming around unless someone else got him. The lake is quiet in the mornings but forget any other time.

Brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brian, that is an awesome picture! The fight must have been intense! so Whitmore lake, do you need a boat to fish the lake? In other words is it pretty tough to fish from the shore?
By the sounds of it, the lake gets pretty packed with fishermen during the day.
Where exactly is the lake located?
Well thanks for the picture! he is a beauty, the fish that is.
If anyone else has anymore pictures please send them.
Scrubby

G

·
Beautiful fish!! Whitmore was stocked with tiger muskies quite a few years back. I'm not sure if they plant anymore in there or not. Caught a small one, years back while casting for bass there. One of the most underfished muskie areas around is the lower Detroit river. Have read articles of shocking programs pulling up some real hogs, but very few people actually fish for them. I cast down there for pike, but have never caught one, except for a dink while handlining for walleyes.

G

·
Hey, thanks Scrubby and Jimbos43, and my dad thanks you. Scrubby, the reason you don't want to fish this lake after 8:30 or 9:00 is the boat traffic from skiers and the personal watercraft. It's a good lake for a couple hours in the morning which is my favorite time to fish. As others have mentioned here and you have probably seen on the other web sites, for some real hogs Lake St. Clair is the place to go. I have also heard that the lower detroit river is a good place as Jimbos43 said. If you want to try Whitmore, it is just east of 23, south of 96, and just north of north territorial road. I think it is in the north end of the county of washtenaw, although I never really checked that. You will need a boat to fish the lake as it is completely surrounding by homes with only a boat launch for access. Yes, it was a good fight and really fun after we got him in the boat. Rule #1 is to always keep the tackle box closed.

Brian

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I guess I need to head up to Newberry in April and bring the boat down. I really want to try Lake St. Clair but it is so dam big that I wouldn't even know where to put in at or whether to troll or cast.
Any thoughts?
Scrubby

G

·
I would say trolling for sure. Watch that Rocketmans website fishing reports. You'll see terms like the "dumps" that's the dumping grounds on the south end of the lake,near where St. Clair runs into the Detroit River. Then you'll see the mile roads mentioned. Most of the east/west streets are 8mile,9mile etc. and they dead end at the lake. Best bet get a lake map, and a DNR boat launching guide. Lots of ramp,especially on the north end of the lake.

·
Registered
11 Posts
These are all nice stories but; you guys wouldn't believe the rush you get when your out in the middle of Lake St. Clair trolling for walleyes and you hook into, a nice Lake St. Clair muskie and have to fight it on your 12lb test and crawler harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
27,431 Posts
I had a friend with me out in front of Selfrige last july. Gave him 15 more minutes before we would pack it up when he hooked(he was casting all morning with a 4in. jointed rapala) a 44in 18lb. musky on 6lb Triline. Fought it for a good 15-20 min. Took pictures and let it go. Excellent job with 6lb.test

·
Super Moderator
37,855 Posts
One of my favorite places in June/July is trolling from the dumps, circle around Peche Isle, and down around the Scott Middle Grounds, repeat as needed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Walleye Mike, by chance could you scan that picture and put it on here. I would like to see as many pictures of Muskies as possible. It sounds like Lake St. Clair may just be the best place in the state for Muskie. I've only fished the Tahquamenon and a couple of lakes near Newberry for Muskies, I guess I need to try a few times on the Big lake and find out what its all about!
scrubby

·
Super Moderator
27,431 Posts
Scrubby, I would be glad to if you or someone can tell me how. Not to good with
these machines. I can turn them on and type.
Directions should be very detailed.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
First, I guess you need a scanner. How your run them, thats a different story. I'm not exactly sure. I'm about as computer illiterate as most people on here so I guess you need to just read up on material and buy a scanner if you want to post any pics on here. which would be great! Good luck.
scrubby

·
Super Moderator
27,431 Posts
Scrubby, check next week in the PICTURE GALLERY. I will post that picture there. I have a picture posted there of a stugeon I caught.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts