Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out last night after work(11:30pm) and did not catch a thing, I was surprised to not see another fisherman. I realize its early but someone has to catch the first one.

MArv

·
Registered
174 Posts
Walked the channel just after dark, 3 guys near the NOAA station and 3 near the silversides, no one said they had caught a thing.

Do you fish them in GH the same way as in Muskegon, at night with jigging spoons?

·
Registered
174 Posts
and another question, in Muskegon and Grand Haven the current is usually ripping in or out pretty good. If you vertical jig them how are you to keep the jigging spoon straight down? Am I just not using big enough spoons?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Not to start controversy here, but are there other ways to catch them in the channels other than jigging spoons? I went a few years ago to Muskegon and it seemed like there were more fish foul hooked than caught legally. Granted, it seemed like the illegal fish were thrown back for the most part. Are these fish actually biting the spoons or is it just a 50/50 chance that the fish gets hooked near the mouth?

What about using single eggs or waxworms on perch rigs like guys do off the piers during the day? Anybody try that at night?

·
Registered
22 Posts
They fish them there with single eggs, scane, and sometimes waxworms. Put an egg sinker on ur line then a bead tie on an ant swivil. Add a piece of 4lb test and a hook.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We went out again Thursday night with the same results. To the question on the current, it does change from in to out with different amounts of force. I fish with a 1/4 - 3/8 ounce jigs tipped with a spike, grant we along with the rest foul hook a fair share of fish, you just have to be smart and follow the law and throw them back, sometimes the fishing is tough and it sucks but it isn't worth the fines they get for these tasty fish. Its very close to happening in Muskegon.

I will admit I still do not understand the laws on this fish, they are netted almost year round if the boats can get to them, you can spear them but you foul hook them and you loose your bank account, vehicle and fishing rights for three years! Man I am glad I can catch a few the right way!

·
Registered
191 Posts
White Pine- do you fish with eggs during the day or at night also?
Doughman, we were there Thursday night also with a group of three, ~7:30-9:30 with no action. Just need to be a little patient I guess. Am trying to stay on top of it after almost missing it last year when they started so early.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was there from 11:30 until 12:30, I was told a couple were caught that night. Last year I kept 3 fish on Nov 4 and the year before the first fish I caught was Nov 7.

As a rule prime time is Nov 12-22 some where in there, you put in your time and you will catch good fish.

Rant: Keep your stuff close to you once it gets nuts out there. I had a group of 7 guys not from the "US" steal my fish and borrowed my net and took it down the Pier aways because they didn't have one of their own and I wasn't fishing in the same spot my net was, I was down the Pier talking to a buddy when I walked back to see my 5 fish and net were gone. Next time someone might get swimming lessons:yikes:

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Caught my first of the year# gentleman on the pier says turn around and go home there are no fish here, my 11 year old daughter looks him in the face as serious as can be and says "you must believe to succeed." we had chuckle and 5 minutes later caught the only white fish we seen on this night. Aside from the midpuppy I caught.

·
Premium Member
30,131 Posts
Caught my first of the year# gentleman on the pier says turn around and go home there are no fish here, my 11 year old daughter looks him in the face as serious as can be and says "you must believe to succeed." we had chuckle and 5 minutes later caught the only white fish we seen on this night. Aside from the midpuppy I caught.
That must have been great watching your daughter say that to him:lol: Did she get to show him what they look like:p Nice job, can't wait for it over here, sounds like a few starting in Tawas.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
haha thats great see just another leason got to have an open mind about it. did your girl get it on spawn or were you guys jigging eather way nice job

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We were jigging, I think we would have done better with spawn but I ahve no spawn boiled at this time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts