Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured with the cold water, we would slay them today. Only got 1 king in 28 fow N of piers and 1 world record sheephead. We avoided the pack right out front in hopes of finding unsolicited fish. I guess that was a mistake. Never marked squat until we came back into the channel and sand docks about noon, but couldn't get them to bite. A crappy end to a very limited (3 trips ) salmon season. Anyone else do any good today? What worked and where?

·
Registered
6 Posts
As you did, we only took 1 fish N of pier and saw many caught but wasn't our day. Tried to follow the fish in MSK lake later but couldn't find em... Quit at 930 and will get at it more this week in the evenings...I did hear radio chatter about 100fow 30-35 down???? Any thruth to that?

I feel your pain!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I feel your pain JRod!! I took three friends out for their first time last night thinking we were going to hit them good.....little did I know!! I hit my first skunk of the year. :rant: We trolled just outside the pack from 45 fow to 85 fow water and ended up 0 for 3. All three hits came on a green scaly j on a half core. Had one of the fish (probably 15 lb.er) up to the boat and one of the guys botched the net job by netting the hooks on the j-plug but not the fish!! :yikes: Sounded like a slow night out on the lake from what I heard. Perahps I should've stayed in the cluster around the pierheads but that's not a game I like to play.

Anyways, just thought I'd let you know you weren't alone.

Scott

·
Registered
304 Posts
We were out in the 100 fow range, north of the pier heads, didn't mark anything. Heard some radio chatter about 30-35 down, some guy claimed 9 of 11 on meat.
We went 1 for 3 in 30-45 fow north, bloody nose J, moonshine tnt, green chrome j.

Had 2 newbies on board and NO WAY I was gonna introduce them to salmon fishing in the combat zone.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Boy wouldn't that be fun, throw one of the newbies on the helm while you're setting lines and see what kind of mess you get into:yikes:.

·
Registered
771 Posts
trolled south of muskegon this morning. ended up 2for2. one fish came on glow bloody nose in 50fow, 30down. the other in 90fow, 130' on dipsy, white spin doctor/silver fly. overall pretty slow, lots of boats between arms and in channel, they were picking up fish, but nothing hot and heavy. water temp anywhere from 54-60 on surface.

·
Banned
70 Posts
I have tried to find the rewind button on my boat for the morning bite the last few times out. Few rookies, lots of action, lots of tackle lost, and only few fish in the cooler. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
We fished north and also had about the same success - 1 for 3 (small king - 3 lbs?) got it in 105 FOW on 6 colors of core on a Mongolian Beef Moonshine. My buddies were the ones that went 4 for 7 in short order out in that 100 to 105 north. We could not get anything going early north in 55 FOW eventhough we were marking fish. One of the slowest days I've had in at least a month. Decided to keep away from the combat and it seems we went past the fish. Down temps were cold in the low to mid 40s at 20 to 40 ft down. Surface was 52 F. I think that as the river drains out the fish will run. We'll be out again during the week and next weekend.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Slept in on Saturday AM and dropped the boat in around 12:30pm, hoping to avoid some of the morning crowd. Couldn't get anything to go after making circles off the sand docks so I held my breath and trolled though the floatilla of jiggers at the mouth of Muskegon Lake. Ended 5 for 8 over the next 2 hours. I am not a big fan of trolling the channel itself but certainly paid off that afternoon. All the fish were 14lb-18lb class with a couple of bright fish. J-plugs and oversized deep-diving walleye crankbaits, all down on riggers took the fish. Nice day to be out!:D

Anybody know what the deal is with the Peterson's commercial fishing boat? :rant: Those guys stormed up the channel, throwing serious wake and pretty much ran up anybody's hind end until they moved over. Are they exempt from "rules of the water" like everyone else?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Gotta be real honest right now guys... I was really hoping every one did as bad as me. I was in the channel watching boats all around catching fish. I was starting to think it was me. The few we had bite would fight to the surface then come unbuttoned. Got fish to bite the same as all of you just couldn't gettem n the boat. Ended up with a stinky kitty, 0-4 all fish came on #3 j's. Green and silver, Green latterback and wonderbread. Any suggestions on how to keepem on the line? do I need to sharpen my hooks? any help would be appreciated.

Good luck next Time.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Pick up one of those stones with a slot in it, found mine at Meijers. I run it toward the point, just a few passes on each hook. Especially after a fish comes off. The few fish I hae gotten on the plugs this year have had no chance to get off. They really chomp down and I need a pliers to get the hook out. Good luck. Oh, and I check it for sharpness before I sharpen it and after to see if it is better. I usually test it on my fingertip.:yikes:

·
Registered
295 Posts
allways everytime sharpen hooks razorsharp.u spend so much time waiting for bites why take a chance for something that takes so little time

·
Registered
292 Posts
A better test for "sharpness" than your fingertip is your fingernail. A dull hook point (or knife blade, or broadhead blade) will slide down the nail. One that is "sharp enough" will stick. Just a good tip that a friend of mine gave me a couple years ago. More effective, and less painful.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Also make sure you are tying direct to the J-plug. This way the plug can slide up the line so the hook harness can flex and bite in deeper. If you use a large snap to connect the plug will not be able to slide away and the fish can use the plug as leverage to tear the hooks out.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
I tie direct, but use a pretied 24" 30# mono leader tied to the hook harness, and tie a small barrel swivel or loop knot to the other end that will still pass through the plug. Then I can use a regular ball bearing swivel on the rod, yet still can change plugs without retying, and the plug can still slide on the mono leader out of the way.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Correct.

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks alot for all the ideas guys. Maybe we'll gettem this weekend or next week. it would be too late will it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts