Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

161 - 180 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
i dont blame her. very frustrating having birds cupped and have someone from across the road shoot first and they gone....

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
We hunted 62 on the opener the year before and shot 12 birds and had a miserable time.

Hunted 9 last year and shot 7 and enjoyed it thoroughly.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Anybody got some artificial Christmas trees I can borrow for Thursday? The fewer questions asked the better.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Too much snow for camo, too little for snow covers. Gotta think outside the box...

Now where are the 73 cans of Santa snow I've bought on clearance the last three years and promptly lost?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thought I was done for the year. High school daughter is so bored and ready to get out of the house she asked if I'd take her on the Goose hunt this week.

We just finished stocking up.

View attachment 617769
One last thing! Make sure you apply it on AFTER you are done stubbling! Some poor poor soul (me) last year got the X in a hay field and made the mistake of using a can apiece on our two blinds before we put the hay on. It all rubbed off. We looked like brown/ green blobs with little stains of excramate in an otherwise white field.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
800 Posts
I had permission on the X a couple seasons ago. 600 geese had been feeding in the field all week. Patchy snow and a chopped corn field. We hit the blinds with snow spray, they looked great and then wet flakes of snow started to fall from the sky. Not a lot of snow but just enough to melt all the snow spray off the blinds. Found out that the stuff is water soluble the worst way possible. We stuck out like a sore thumb. It was heartbreaking watching all 600 geese want in and circle and circle and not get closer than 60 yards all morning. Gotta love lessons learned the hard way. Lol.

I see Beavertail makes a "snow blanket". If I ever start field hunting more I think it will be a worthwhile investment. I thought about making strips of tyvek (or something similar) and raffia that I could clip to the blinds stubble straps as well for those patchy snow days.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
I'm gonna sit like this in the spread in a winter forest parka. The geese will not see me and the calming vibes from my passive aura will lull them into a false sense of security.

And by the time they show up I'll be so stiff that I won't be able to move, so they won't have to worry.

Pro tip, white electric tape your barrels.

Screenshot_2020-12-16-10-31-37.png

·
Registered
971 Posts
fuuuuudge

Just misted the power hunter with some flat tan. Was going to hit it with the 3 pounds of raffia I ordered because the stubble straps are insanely big. Couldn't find the package for the raffia anywhere.

Checked email...couldn't find an email anywhere on it. Confirmed with bank account...

Yep. Never actually ordered it. Had it on the list. Thought i did it.

But did not.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Text me a list of things you want to borrow. I'm going ninja tomorrow so I'll have spares of about everything but a hole punch although you can steal that when I'm done setting my no wind ninja spread.

Note "#1 and 2 picks on scouted zones" should not be on the list.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
#1 pick only, birds went to one half of one field and there were four trucks watching it until something blew it up and they all bailed out.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have no idea how you get everything into that Focus. Need to get more efficient at packing.

I think I'm in decent shape. We will have to completely stubble one blind. Other two are already stubbled corn. 9 dozen silos. Secret Weapon Specks. New Fiskars in the event of hay. Calls. Flag.

@Fishfighter is in charge of a drill with appropriate bit. Which means I'll be borrowing your hole punch when he forgets it.

He's also got my rake.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I have no idea how you get everything into that Focus. Need to get more efficient at packing.

I think I'm in decent shape. We will have to completely stubble one blind. Other two are already stubbled corn. 9 dozen silos. Secret Weapon Specks. New Fiskars in the event of hay. Calls. Flag.

@Fishfighter is in charge of a drill with appropriate bit. Which means I'll be borrowing your hole punch when he forgets it.

He's also got my rake.
I'll just bring the gas auger that aught to punch a hole.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Piece of rebar works great. We have a crosspiece step welded on ours. Step and go. Learned that trick in Nodak where the soil can turn into cement.

Spinner poles we use a 1" ship shank auger bit on a cordless drill. It's about 16" long. No worries about spinner taking a dive when birds are working.

·
Registered
17,382 Posts
Get up there tonight. Birds start using a field, too close to a road, knew what was coming. First guy I see locks up on the field a good half mile away and tucks in somewhere inconspicuous. Next guy does the same. I parked a good three zones away.

Birds continue to work nicely.

I move on taking a wide lap around that field trying to find another field as this one was too obvious. From a couple miles away I see the whole herd get up and bail out.

Not sure what Johnny come late dumbass pulled up right next to those geese and blew them out, but thanks. I went into work three hours early and skipped lunch and drove sixty miles to now have no clue what the birds will do tomorrow, as the pattern that set up before you got there is no longer valid as the birds all landed somewhere different than where they were on the lagoons. And having not fed as long as they needed to, who knows when they will start. They may very well be in the fields before we can hunt tomorrow.

Do us a favor and stay home tomorrow. Unless you want to hear the same announcement about being discreet and using your binoculars that you apparently didn't hear before.

·
Registered
879 Posts
I didn't get a chance to scout but I got the report from another guy that seen the same thing. Apparently someone just thought they needed to drive out the rig road. I haven't touched my deer rifle all season but this kind if **** has me thinking twice about this afternoon and go deer hunting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #179
I didn't get a chance to scout but I got the report from another guy that seen the same thing. Apparently someone just thought they needed to drive out the rig road. I haven't touched my deer rifle all season but this kind if **** has me thinking twice about this afternoon.
To be clear here Tim(knowing you are the nicest guy in the world)I'm sure you meant pick up your deer rifle and deer hunt instead of waterfowl hunt.

The regulars have all worked hard to increase participation at the WW, and there are a lot of new faces around this year. With that comes some problems caused by inexperience. If one of us who hunts there regularly sees a guy making a blunder like busting the birds while scouting, it would be best if that experienced hunter had a kind conversation with the new hunter. Not a confrontational talk, but a little coaching up. Nobody wants to ruin their own hunt the next day, it's just that guys don't know any better.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yea
To be clear here Tim(knowing you are the nicest guy in the world)I'm sure you meant pick up your deer rifle and deer hunt instead of waterfowl hunt.

The regulars have all worked hard to increase participation at the WW, and there are a lot of new faces around this year. With that comes some problems caused by inexperience. If one of us who hunts there regularly sees a guy making a blunder like busting the birds while scouting, it would be best if that experienced hunter had a kind conversation with the new hunter. Not a confrontational talk, but a little coaching up. Nobody wants to ruin their own hunt the next day, it's just that guys don't know any better.
Yeah I guess I should have clarified to go deer hunting. I would never make threats.

161 - 180 of 241 Posts