Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new to the forum and new to fishing, ive been fishing since i was 5, but i stopped and just picked up the sport again 3 years ago. i never river fish in the winter and i heard steelhead fishing is the bomb, i fish about 3 - 4 days a week but never during the winter, and i cant wait anymore. what type of bait should i use, how much weight should i use, to drift the river. i never seen a steelhead in real life and plan on doing the do? what times should i go in the midwest michigan? what size line? help me out guys, im a virgin. and im sorry if i name dropped a location and shouldnt, i know fishermen have there own set of rules. oh yea im in muskegon, michigan and i plan on going tommorrow the 29th of january

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
1- Spawn, waxies/jigs, wigglers, half crawler
2- Weight for drifting really depends on the current. Take a selection in weights less than 1 oz., more like less than 3/4 oz.
3- Go when you can. Now is as good as time as any. Don't worry about getting out the crack of dawn, especially on the cold days. Better off later in the day.
4) Instead of # test, as it is not reflective much of the time for true breaking strength, I like using about .012-.013 mainline and .008-.009 leader, in general.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
kool, thnx alot. the bait shops sell steelhead spawn and im not sure about sucker spawn, my nephew told me once to use steelhead spawn and another guy told me to use sucker spawn. which spawn do you think i should use. is there a diffrence between the green sacs and the pink sacs, sorry i just wanna be prepared, if i dont catch something, my wifes gonna laugh me into a hotel room LOL.

thnx

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I wouldn't necessarily just go with 8 feet down, but make sure your jig is floating anywhere from a few inches to as much as 2 feet off the bottom when fishing deep gravel runs. Typically, if the gravel run looks about 6 feet deep, I'll run my jig 5 to 5.5 feet below the bobber. When fishing deep holes, you can run the jig deeper, but I honestly catch a lot of fish suspended (whether they rise up to the jig, I have no idea) but I have some spots where I'll be fishing a hole that's 12 feet deep and be picking off fish only 5 or 6 feet below the surface. Also, in the winter, definately go with what Reg was saying with hitting the afternoons (colder days especially). I definately hit at least half if not more of my winter fish between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. They really get active when the temperature hits its peak for the day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.