Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We may be heading out tonight or tomarrow morning. Are there any nets off Muskegon? Are these things lit/ or marked at night. If they are out there how many feet of water are they in?

·
Registered
144 Posts
There are 6 or 7 sets of nets South of Muskegon in front of the channel to Mona Lake. They start in 70' and go out to around 140'. I have heard there are 3 sets of nets to the North of Muskegon. I have not been North this year yet to confirm the locations.

For the most parts, they are marked pretty good. There is a flag on top of the buoys. They are not lit.

·
Registered
606 Posts
north nets start in about 120 and head out to the west. There are 3 sets of them that start just a little north of the pier with the other two sets just north of the first one. They are marked good but there are no lights on them( which should be required).

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wife and I went on a little recon tonight after the sun was down. Reset the track on the gps and headed out 3 miles. That put us in 84 fow at a 300 degree heading from the pierheads. Did not mark anything and did not set any lines down as we did not know where the north nets were. There was still light in the western sky as we went out that kept me brave, but we were losing light fast so we returned. Never saw the net markers. Talked with fellas at the dock who were out to 200 fow. I asked how far that was and he said too far. I told him 84 fow was 3 mi out. Then he thought he might have been 9 miles out. Too far for me. Best thing was I ran it open out and back and used 7/8 of a gallon of gas. Gotta love the Hondas!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I did see a commercial fishing boat out there on Saturday with the seagulls flocking around him as he moved along. Not sure if they were pulling or moving nets.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
My rough rule of thumb is 150 FOW 5 miles. 200 FOW is approx 7 MI. It drops fast from 200 to 300....within a mile or 2. Ya know, if you go out to 150 FOW, 200 to 250 is not much farther.

Over the last several years, it has been few and far between that I have had to go past 175 or so to find decent fishing.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
South starting at 100 FOW or so out to 150 FOW (Saturday). Not sure about north - did hear there were some, just not sure where.

I'll be out for a while tonight, will be pulling lines a little early due to the crew needing to get in at a decent hour. Probably until 8:30 or so. Shakedown trip.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts