Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading ome to Michigan this week for my first Michigan hunting trip in many years. I used to hunt the Marsh near US31 and we used to have some awesome hunting in there back in the 80s when I was in High School.
I was just wondering if anyone is having any luck this year? Also I got the waterfowl regulations and I am a little confused about opening dates at the Muskegon wastewater goose hunts. One place in the guide it says 16 October and another place it says call for opening dates.
Does anyone know the ground truth on this? If so I could use some guidence.
Well good to be home from Iraq and I am really looking forward to this hunt. It is funny that during the opening days of the war when things were not looking good for the home team my thoughts went back to 1987 and the great days I had hunting in the Marsh and I made a deal with myself that if I lived to see the States again I would hunt the Marsh again.
I arrive in Michigan on Friday to make good on the deal. It is after seeing the real ugly parts of the world where we learn to appreciate how good we have it in Michigan.
Well I hope everyone is having a good season.

Tom

·
Registered
3,528 Posts
No report on the marsh from me I am not in that area. But you do get a thank you from me. :)

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Tom....welcome back!! I hunted the marsh on the opening evening and there wasn't much happening in my area. Had scouted it previous to the opener and it was loaded with woodies around Mill Iron road area. My buddy hunted the opener there and got one woodie with quite a few buzzing him as well.

Just curious....where did you go to high school?

Have you ever hunted the marsh on the east side of 31 that you can see from the highway? Have wanted to hunt that area but haven't made it that way.

The water is quite lower and has filled in with sand quite a bit the last few years.

Good luck and let us know if you make it out.

Scott

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scott,
I usually hunted behind the oil drum across the river off US31. In 1987 I hunted right off the highway due to very high water right off the east side of the highway. The last time I hunted it I jump shot in little pockets around Mill Iron road and killed wooducks, Mallards and Teal.
To answer the other quesion I graduated from East Grand Rapids High School back in 1988, but I am not a little rich kid like most of them.
During this trip I plan to hunt the marsh a few times and the wastewater goose area at least once. I really appreciate the information.

Tom

·
Habitual outdoorsman
985 Posts
Hey Hipskindt- I also don't have any Muskegon River info for you unfortunately, but can't help myself but to say, thank you, congratulations on a job well done, and God bless you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Welcome back Tom,
I hunted downstream from Mill Iron Monday morning, the water is way down and so are the birds :( . I only got one shot at a passing woodie about 30 yards out. It was a beautiful morning however, and I love it out there. There was an article in the G.R. Press talking about the waste water hunt and they reported it will open on the 16th and they have birds and enough cleared fields for 40 to 60 parties. Good luck and Thank you for serving!!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Tom...things have changed quite a bit in the past few years. The low water and silt have caused past easily accessible areas harder to reach. You may want to scout if you're going to do a morning hunt. If not, you may be in shock when you try to get into your old haunts. Have you ever tried hunting the pond behind the old TB asylum by the oil drums? Looks pretty ducky!

Well good luck and let us know how you do.

Scott

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Thanks for your service, Tom.

I don't know as much about the Muskegon marsh as the pthers that gave you answers. However, I wondered whether you are a friend and co-owner of a LS&B scull boat with Jeff B?

Good Luck on the ducks.

Butch

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I made it up to Michigan. The marsh does not look like t he old place I used to hunt. I can't believe how low the water is, places I used to run the moter I now must get out and push. I hunted the waste water goose hunt on Sunday I got a decent draw but the geese were very high. It was a hit or miss deal guys on the other side of the field I was on shot a quick limit.
I am going to hunt the Mill road area in the morning I will let you know how I do.
If anyone knows where the water is deeper in the marsh please let me know I did not drive 17 hours not to see any ducks

Tom

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Tom.....drew 42 out of 58 groups for the wastewater hunt on Saturday morning. DNR said there are 5000 geese and 8000 ducks using the wastewater. We skipped the hunt and headed for the nearby marsh......thinking some of the birds would be pushed out of the wastewater and head our way. Didn't even get to shoulder the gun!! Didn't hear too many shots in the marsh either. Not sure what the deal is!! Haven't dropped a duck yet this season.

Well good luck and let us know how you do!!

Scott

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was a good morning. Two guns 7 ducks 3 Greenheads,2 Hen Mallards, 1 Black duck, 1 Drake Wooduck. Finding them without my dog was very difficult. I hope you all had a good hunt.

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts