Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if Angler Archer bait shop in Muskegon is open at 7am. If not, where is the nearest one that open early. Also, anyone have any info. on the Fishing Derby... times, etc.

Casey

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got out on the ice about 7:30 this morning. I picked up 4 decent perch and lost five others on their way up. No walleyes or pike jigging or on the tip up. I did see one 20" eye iced near me in the early morning (jigging) and heard of a 7 pounder in a nearby shanty (jigging). Other than that, things were pretty slow for me and I picked up at 1:00, no fish to weigh in at the contest. I was fishing off second street, out and to the right (west).

As the day progressed, fish would come check out my teardrop with a wiggler, but as soon as I touched it to jig it to try to entice a bite, they'd split. I wonder if they're just getting picky or if its my presentation. It seems to work well in other lakes.

All but one fish came on a glow teardrop with a perch minnow, the other on a teardrop/wiggler.

Anyone else have any luck?

·
Registered
316 Posts
KCfishing

Had the same problem up at Crystal last week. Spent two days up there and not much to show for it. Alot of lookers, then they would settle back down to bottom. Kept changing baits and jigs. GRRRRR

Gibby:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Flags,flags,flags
Fished from 10 to 3pm Sat. Fishermans Landing all I can say is FLAGS,Flags,and more FLAGS. The pike where hot not big just hot. There was one 41inch fish that is what I said 41inch pike. But the rest of the fish where 20 to 28inches. Alot of fish where landed. We had 4 flags before we had the 4th tipup set. My legs still hurt from running around. One bad thing there is about 4 to10inches of snow and water on top of the ice so it made it hard to get out there. I want to say thank you to the guys that gave us some shinners we ran out only after about an hour of fishing. Sat. will go down as one of those days that I will be talking about for a long time.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have to agree with sharkbait on the snow conditions.
Really bad. I left carferry dock this morning(sunday) headed for black bouy.
Got stuck about 6 times with 4x4 quad, with chains. Made it out, fished 4 hrs. got 8 really nice perch and lost about that many half way up. Coming back in was really rough. You can't tell the drifts, until your in them, then it's to late. There is also getting to be alot more slush on the lake then there was a few days ago. Now is when I wish I had a snowmobile.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I saw that hawg caught on sat and our group ended up with a few keepers. Just cant wait untill its my turn for a giant I have seen 3 pike taken in the last 2 years over 40". now is the time..... for the pigs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you guys usually have perch and walleye come off halfway up? I have been having a beast of a time with that problem and I'm wondering if there is too much stretch in the line at hookset. Has anyone ever used no-stretch braid and does it remedy this problem??? Thanks for the input!

Bartie

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think my problem with losing fish, is I'm using to light a rod.
I was using my gill rods with 2 lb line. I'm going back to my stiffer rods and putting 4lb line on. Fishing 40 to 50 feet down, you need a little back bone when you set the hook.

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
We still on for Tuesday 2/10? I'd like to try and hook up 3:30-dark in case anyone else was going.

Tim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts