Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to muskegon lake Sun. , has it picked up at all ? probably going out of second street then west , gonna do perch and pike with some buddies from work. hopefully ice is still ok by then,will have quads.

thanks for any info

Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
The action has picked up on Muskegon Lake. However, be very careful on Second St. The thawing conditions has the river opening up towards Second St. A lot of action for northerns off Giddings St.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info, we're open to changing locations if second street is iffy, should the quads stay home ? figured on trying to cover some ground(ice) , but only if things are too slow. I haven't fished muskegon in along time, any good bait shops in giddings st. area?

thanks
Tim

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't know that the quads need to stay home. Understand , however, the river combined with the hot water from the cobb plant, coupled with a change in the flow of the water, makes conditions on Second St. iffy. Last year the same thing happened and the local agencies shut Second St. right down.
If you are on Ruddiman Dr. you can see where the current is headed. Everywhere else should be fine. The best tackle shop is Adam's Angler Archer. It is on your way to second st. in North Muskegon.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just took a ride down to the Carferry Dock.
Lots of water on the ice, but appears most of the snow has melted. Quads should be fine, now that some of the snow is gone. I could see maybe 12 - 15 shanties out from here and a couple of quads. I'm going in the morning. Will post results after I get in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We plan on meeting at second street , I'm going to stop and get bait so I'll talk to the guys at the bait shop and if second street won't work maybe head down to snug harbor. Do you park at dnr ramp to get to snug, or should we head to other side of the lake ? I really appreciate all the help guys.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
Got handed the grocery list this morning, worth the trip to 2nd and snug. I didn't see any quads or sleds out, but I was out last weekend and gotta believe even with the rain/weather they'd still be fine. I'm definitely heading out tomorrow - what time are you folks meeting up - I wouldn't mind some company. I fished Johnson's point last weekend - marked lots, couldn't get'em to bite. Satuday I got one perch jigging and lost two. Sunday I got a nice perch on a tip up - blue minnow. Lost a pike when I started on just right of the slab pile to the left of the launch. Plenty of shanties out from 2nd Street and Snug today...wife needs to study today, so tomorrow's the day. I drive a dk blue Sonoma Crew - Honda Recon/Fish Trap on the ice.

·
Registered
463 Posts
The boy and I fished approx. 150 yds. S.E. of the black bouy in 50ft. of water. Caught maybe 40 perch. Kept 26. 4 fish around 7"
6 fish between 11" and 13.5" all the rest between 8" abd 11"
Snow is pretty much gone, but there are some deep slush spots.
Ice is still a good 8" to 10" thick. We were using firetiger looking Jamming Jigs with minnows and eyeballs. Can't go Sunday, boy has hockey in Ann Arbor. Will go again Tues. or Wed. I did use my quad, 4x4 without any trouble. There was several other quads out there, plus some snowmobiles, and a 3 wheeler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
where did you put in at Dave,I see the municipal launch is close to there,I've got a bait shop marked right there close by also, looks like you were between the launch and black buoy ? Fishfoote as of now planning on meeting at second street, and deciding where to from there, but thats a good report from Dave ,I might give the guys a call and go out from over there somewhere, unless its easy enough to take quads over, I drive a red yukon and will be pulling trailer with quad, your more than welcome to join us , I will be posting later tonight again, on the ice we'll have two quads and black shappell shanty

·
Registered
463 Posts
Shakeman,
I put in at the old carferry dock, that is where the Milwaukee Clipper is berthed now. It's at the end of McCracken St. There is a bait shop right there on the corner, but there minnows are small.
You can run to the bouy area from second street, But it is alot closer to run from carferry dock. I fished in 40 ft. of water the first hour, nothing at all on the Vexilar, so we moved to 50 ft. and it was pretty steady fishing tell we left at 2:30 pm. There was about 4 or 5 shanties just S.W of the Bouy, I was S.E. of the bouy all by myself.

·
Registered
702 Posts
If anyone is checking before they go out this morning .... I'll be there as well. I will be driving a Drk Blue explorer and sitting in a Clam Jr.

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I'm still heading toward 2nd - I'll be on the radio channel 7 - 0. Give me a yell if you get into them, I'll do the same..

·
Registered
316 Posts
Schaaed1

May see you out there. But not leaving untill shortly after noon. If you need a pull back I am planning on taking the four wheeler. channel 7
Plan on heading to black bouy
Gibby:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slow day for us, only ended up with around 20 for three guys, we were s-se of black buoy,hitting fair before noon then really slowed, used mostly minnows, they were very lite biting, played with it for long time before they would take it, couple guys more towards the west did real well,they were using slip bobbers, I was also and you had to let them take it almost below the hole before setting hook, I missed alot.sure was a nice day to be out there . ice was good 8-12 " quality varied a little but pretty good overall,some slushy spots.

Tim

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I fished just south of the black buoy from noon until 4 PM today - just got a lot of little ones. I think 8" was my larger perch, and no one I saw had any jumbos. One guy near me iced a 3 lb. brown while jigging a teardrop tipped with a minnow - nice surprise. Wigglers seemed to do about as well as minnows, at least for me. A great day out on the ice - I'm anxious for spring though.

Ken

·
Registered
316 Posts
We got on the ice about 12:30 fished until dark. Just south east of of black bouy. Took 13 home only two real nice ones. Did get my First walleye through the ice today off that 45 fow back down the hole he went shy a couple inches of making it, jigging with swidish pimple. Called on the radio couple of times but by the sounds of things most of us were in chatting distance. Two of us came out on a red honda four wheeler. So who had the truck topper shantie? Will return in the AM.

Gibby:)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Met up with FishFoote off 2nd street Sunday morning. I was not doing so well, so I started on the Radio and he answered ... so I went over his way.

We were catching some med & small perch and we each ended up with a couple decent ones as well. We were also catching assorted sizes of White Bass. I ended up with an assortment of 26 (including a nice sunfish and a 15.5" catfish).

FishFoote ended up with the same ... if not more.

Almost all came on wigglers (thanks FishFoote), I could not catch anything on minnows.

The cat sure was a riot on my panfish rod!!

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
I got out on the lake about 8am - started pretty slow, but ended up with a mix of perch/white bass (white perch?) of 29. In addition to Schaaed1, we fish near a couple guys in Lodges - they both got their limit too. If those white bass/perch are as tasty as I'm told - I'll be targeting them alot more - they clean easier than perch and generally run bigger. I only got a few perch in the 9/10 inch range the rest were 6/7. We fished between 2nd Street launch and Johnson's point in 35 fow. There was a decent current running to the west, I think that's what was holding the fish. I used a small tear drop (pink/silver) with two wigglers to get most hits. Lots of fun bringing 10" white bass up on a noodle rod with 4 lb line! My gear's still in the truck - depending on the weather, I may have:D to take another try.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Almost forgot, whle fishing Fishfoote and I spotted this 'ice rig' heading back in. It was far away and the pic is grainy but you'll get the idea.

We looked at it through bino's and it was a long sled with a seat mounted high to the rear. Behind the operator's seat was a set of 'forks' and a motorcycle tire & wheel. Some how mounted on top of the forks was some type of motor.

It was not fast .... but it scooted right along. Anyone know anything? Anyone seen this outfit?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts