Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like the fishing has slowed to a crawl here.
We started in the channel at approx 6:30 PM and made a few passes - marked a good amount of fish but had no takers. Had one empty release as we were heading in to the piers just outside of the mud. Then we headed out to the north along the mud line and still no takers. Made a few loops around to the north in 35 to 40 FOW and decided to put out 2 and 3 color lead cores as the traffic was quite light outside.

Then as the sun started to get lower we headed south a bit in 40 to 45 FOW and at dusk we started marking some significant fish. The 2 color with green splatterback glo J went and the fish was off after about 20 seconds. Commenced to get that back out and just before I had the board back on the opposite side rigger with a Pearl Tomic 20 down was bobbing - gone when I got there. Went back to the core to get the board on and the port dispy back 45 on 1 was slammin'. After some shuffling of rods that were in the way and a few minutes of a good fight boated a 16 lb male - somewhat dark. Now 1 for 4. At least the skunk was out!

Several minutes later had another rigger release that was empty - grey ghost J 15 down. Quite a bit later after dark we had another empty release on the grey ghost J.

Finished 1 for 6 and marked lots of fish as the sun went down. There were no fish around outside prior to dark.

Boy the fish in the mud have been quite negative the last several days. Heard there were tons of fish at the sand docks and no takers too. Are these fish ever going to turn on??

·
Registered
427 Posts
Mojo,

Thanks for the Muskegon report. Much appreciated. Maybe this morning's rain will turn them on. Who knows lately! All I know is that it's been a lot more fishing than catching in Muskegon.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea - I got 5 in Frankfort on the Sat before Labor Day and have not had 5 total since. Gotten really tough. We marked a ton of fish after dark that were not there before - so they are around. Hope the weekend is fishable as I would like to get a few more trips in before the boat goes to storage.....:sad:

·
Registered
4,769 Posts
We made a 25 min. trip before one of the crew started feeling a bit:fish2: Set lines just inside the channel and headed NW to 50fow. Made a turn south and got a 30 sec. hookup (drag was cranked tight- my fault) and the fish was off. By then one of the crew was looking a bit green, so we called it a night.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Fished the night shift at Muskegon on the 10th. Went 4 for 8 between 9 and 11 pm. All on moonshines. Flounder pounder was the best, but they all took hits except double trouble. Had the whole lake to myself and I was deeper than the previous posts mentioned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts