Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my father in-laws boat out for its first trip of the year and to check the different launches. We launched out of Snug Harbor and if you dont stay in the channel its only 2-3 ft across the flat. No problem with his 16' Alumacraft but saw a couple of bigger boats struggling. Hit the big lake around 7:30 and got the first hit within 10 mins. A small brown lost after a couple jumps. We headed south between the first two sand bars. Boards run to the edges of the bars. Trolled about 2mph to mona lake and back. Ended the day 4/5. 2 browns about 5 lbs and 2 around 3 lbs. 3 came on floating raps and one on a walmart special orange and silver spoon. By 11:30 we were taking water over the front of the boat and called it quits. Still well worth the trip.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jeepfan, have you ever tried for perch out of Muskegon? I talked to a guy 2 years ago at Port Sheldon and he fished perch out of Muskegon on the big lake and did real well. I think it was about this time of year because we were fishing browns. Any help would be helpful as I would like to go there and try it.

·
Premium Member
10,562 Posts
Great report. Man I got to go!

·
Registered
472 Posts
We fished Saturday out of Snug Harbor. Went to the Bear Lake Channel and got on some perch on 40 FOW but couldn't get the anchor to hold very well. The waves were rocking pretty good. Ended up heading back in after a couple of hours. Heard from a few guys that fished near the channel and got a few perch too but they had the same problem with the wind. Typical spring fishing, if it's not snowing it's blowing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last year I fished for perch on the big lake. When they were biting it wasnt hard to fill a bucket. They are some monsters. Saw a couple of boats trying saturday but didnt see anything happening.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts