Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
Thanks for that post. Haven’t fished out of Muskegon before and am going tomorrow. Any advice from the group would be appreciated on where the most recent reports of nets are to watch out for, which launch to use, or the correct fishing program. Thanks in advance and happy Father’s Day to those it applies to.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman
I haven't been there this year, but in the past I've always tried to make my first trip to a port in the daylight to get an idea....the few times I've fished there was always a couple north in 70-100 fow and a few south towards Mona lake in same depth not far from the bouy. Here's a map showing the bouy by one of my pins. A couple of those were nets. Then the red ones to north. These were quite a few years back....plus there's usually some out from White lake. Not sure if this helps, but I've never seen any straight out. Not sure if that's due to boat traffic and ferry or not?
Map World Slope Font Atlas

·
Registered
23 Posts
I haven't been there this year, but in the past I've always tried to make my first trip to a port in the daylight to get an idea....the few times I've fished there was always a couple north in 70-100 fow and a few south towards Mona lake in same depth not far from the bouy. Here's a map showing the bouy by one of my pins. A couple of those were nets. Then the red ones to north. These were quite a few years back....plus there's usually some out from White lake. Not sure if this helps, but I've never seen any straight out. Not sure if that's due to boat traffic and ferry or not?
View attachment 838087
Every little bit helps. Ralph, I have always appreciated your support from Lake Michigan to the Saginaw Bay. Thank you for always being willing to help a fellow angler out.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
117 Posts
Muskegon was terrible today most all charters came in with 2-3 fish and threw everything they had at em. Bait is forming offshore everywhere fish must be full with the incredible amount of bait out there. Most fish caught were steelhead and cohos!!! The fishing is the toughest it’s been all summer so far

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Was out yesterday.

Marked fish, bait balls, etc. no takers.

Tossed everything except walleye gear, nada.

Saw a couple white caps forming and said, time to go.

Got off in time for time to see the lake eventually get worse.

We got inside the pier heads, and marked so many fish that I felt the graph had to be telling a lie.

Yanked out the walleye gear and some bandits.

WHAM, ROD BENT OVER, drag screaming,
181 foot of line before we got its head turned.

And wouldn’t you know it, Sheep Head.

No ordinary, but 30 inches. It was so fun, we stayed there for about 2 hours catching and releasing them.

1 @ 30, couple @ 29, few @ 28 and then some smaller ones.

We then trolled on through channel, and called it a day, was off the water by 5pm.

Noting silver, but man those huge sheep were fun.

Other than that, nothing to report other then I saw the biggest sheep heads I have ever seen in my life.

OE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Freshwater Drum Master Angler Min. 25"
Didn’t know that, those large ones hit like a Mack Truck, and were fun to catch.

All were released for some one to claim a MA.

3DD will probably get down there w/ his log book and spread sheet any day now…….

OE,

Just picking 3DD.

·
Premium Member
9,073 Posts
Fished this morning. Out of channel shortly after 5. Straight out and at 125 started getting a few nice marks so set up there and headed west. At 6 had a board with a 10 color take a good hit. Mag DWB took about a 8# coho. While my buddy was reeling that in the port rigger set at 50 went and we had a double. 4# ho on the slider, a pink prisim mini hot shot spoon. Thought this might be a good day as I wasnt excepting much action with the recent reports Ive seen.
Well the reports were spot on! Went out as far as 260. Tried all depths, speeds, color combos, spin docs/flies. Marked alot of fish and a ton of bait balls in the upper half in the 130 to 150 range but not one taker, never got another hit. Called it at 1:30 with the wind picking up and came back into 2-3's. Got one other shaker ho on the 10 color when we pulled lines. Surface temps were 63 coming out of the channel with 59 to 61 around 150 and deeper.
What a beautiful Fathers Day out there today though!!

They are defiantly gorging on those bait balls!
Food Fish Animal product Cuisine Ingredient

·
Registered
461 Posts
Finished out Father's day on the boat with my son. Fished from 6 to 9 in 130 to 150 fow, ended 3 for 4. Couple kings around 3lb and a decent one about 10lb. Spoons on riggers 40 to 60 down and high diver 150 back. Plenty of bait 40 to 50 down and several floating to the top making the gulls happy.
Fish Swordfish Marlin Fishing lure Ray-finned fish

·
Registered
668 Posts
Finished out Father's day on the boat with my son. Fished from 6 to 9 in 130 to 150 fow, ended 3 for 4. Couple kings around 3lb and a decent one about 10lb. Spoons on riggers 40 to 60 down and high diver 150 back. Plenty of bait 40 to 50 down and several floating to the top making the gulls happy.
View attachment 838317
Thanks for sharing the report. Was that AM or PM? I also like that pinkish colored spoon you are using. I also have found that silver fish like shades of pink along with all the orange stuff that we use. Nice that you got out on Father's Day with your son!

Reactions: 1morebite

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Didn’t know that, those large ones hit like a Mack Truck, and were fun to catch.

All were released for some one to claim a MA.

3DD will probably get down there w/ his log book and spread sheet any day now…….

OE,

Just picking 3DD.

Guilty as charged. I like to show up to all events with my lifetimes worth of Master Angler patches sewn to a nice shirt with a collar. I look like a pro.

I used to staple the actual certificate to the shirt as well, but ran out of space. It intimidates everyone.

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
Guilty as charged. I like to show up to all events with my lifetimes worth of Master Angler patches sewn to a nice shirt with a collar. I look like a pro.

I used to staple the actual certificate to the shirt as well, but ran out of space. It intimidates everyone.

The funny thing is the patches don't designate what species it's for. I could get all I want from rough fish like sheephead,catfish,dogfish etc... :LOL:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Thanks for sharing the report. Was that AM or PM? I also like that pinkish colored spoon you are using. I also have found that silver fish like shades of pink along with all the orange stuff that we use. Nice that you got out on Father's Day with your son!
We were out in the evening.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts