Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
McCormicks Smoke House Maple Seasoning, Cabela's Salmon & Trout Seasoning, and thin layer of extra creamy mayo.
Looks great Aaron, glad you're back on the water! 😀 Let me know if you head this way, havd a seat for you. Will make sure you get plenty of walleye to take back! Maybe a bag of perch if you can message me that homemade bluecheese recipe again.😉 Cant find the dang thing! 🤣

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well, with much excitement, I get to make a report for fishing out of Muskegon.

After almost a year hiatus of fishing, due to boat issues (Can be read about in this thread A journey through the dark side of the boating industry. | Michigan Sportsman Forum (michigan-sportsman.com) "

I was able to sneak out to Muskegon to test the boat, and test all my gear to be "Ready" well being ready, and preparing are two different things, and Lake Michigan told me she missed me ALLOT.

With some info from JustJoe22, I headed to Muskegon. Was on the water by 3:30 and decided since I am testing, Ill just drop lines near 90 foot. @ 88 Foot I came off plane, set up the Motorguide, got the kicker running, got the speed where I wanted it, and set up a 5 color, w/ board of the port side, then a Port Slide Diver, then the Port Rigger. I was running a Flasher, fly combo, a spoon, and a meat rig. As I was there to test the gear. I swapped out the 5 color for my 7 color and tested that, so far so good. Reeled in one at a time, to test the starboard side poles tested the Slide Divers, and Rigger.

When I was done testing every pole, I settles down, and dropped a Slide Diver, set to ZERO, w/ Dream Weaver Dirty White Boy, down 103 foot on a calibrated reel.
I then dropped a Rigger down 60 Foot with some other spoon, and the starboard Slide Diver set to ZERO, w/ some spoon, down 113 foot on a calibrated reel.

By the time I got the Starboard Slide Diver set, and was happy with the drag, I looked everything over, and thought, AWSOME, I am fishing again, and then as if in a movie, that was scripted, the Port Slide diver started the heart beating hammer action.

I got my fist King in along time, due to boat repairs. When I got it in the boat, I looked and was surrounded by Nets. I marked the area, on the graph, and pulled lines and got out of that area. Then headed West again.

Shortly after getting set up again, that port Slide Diver went off again, by the time I grabbed the pole it was gone. Kind of bummed, I reeled it in, reset it and sent it back down, and when I got it in place, before I turned away, is was hammering again. Fish #2. Now I don't know about yo, but on big water TWO is a pattern, well at least to me. SO I then swapped out the Starboard Slide Diver, and Port Rigger with the same lure, as for some unknown reason I have 4 of them.

The rest of the night was like that, I went 5/9 and for the second time in my life, I caught a limit of Kings, while solo. I caught fish from 94 foot, as far out as 180 foot, and back, I basically trolled West & East, Nothing was ever any deeper than 60 foot, including the rigger, which took 3 hits. The reason I noted that the Dream Weaver Dirty White Boy, earlier was that after that port side took the second hit within 10 minutes, I swapped out the other two rods to have 3 of them in the water.

Lake Michigan welcomed me back in a big way, I was headed off the water by 8:20pm. Excited and giddy, I called 3DD, and was telling him, and left a VM w/ Kearly Shuffle, and JustJoe22

I spent Sunday helping the daughter practice parallel parking, and sitting in the shade of a tree, with the grill running. With all the excitement, I never thought to take pictures of the fish, until 3DD text me "Hey, where's a photo of this supposed limit of Kings" I had to laugh, as he knows, I fish not for the record books, or overly large fish, I fish, cuz I like them on the grill.

So he got this picture, of them prepped for the grill. We had family over and a great evening with some great fresh King Salmon.

Also when I went over the nets I took a photo, so if you are ever wondering what the nets look like on 2D, well, see the attached.

I will get the net coordinates posted later this evening or tomorrow, as I have to get the Lat & Lon off the graph's

OE
View attachment 837324 View attachment 837325 View attachment 837326 View attachment 837327

And its great to be back on the water. I need a Erie trip, or Saginaw trip soon as well, as the wife loves Walleye,

Glad to be back on the water,

OE
You’ve earned it my man! Good to have you back.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
We are still so new we didn’t know for sure what they were just figured we should stay away.

Are they fishing nets?
Don’t go anywhere near them. I know guys that have had all three downriggers and all four diver rod holders ripped from the boat along with the rods. Even worse yet smaller boats have lost entire transoms.

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
Don’t go anywhere near them. I know guys that have had all three downriggers and all four diver rod holders ripped from the boat along with the rods. Even worse yet smaller boats have lost entire transoms.

Anyone fishing downriggers in the great lakes should always carry a pair of these or similar ones in back of boat. Better to cut cable than what you mentioned could and has happened.
Cable Eyewear Office supplies Wire Font

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anyone fishing downriggers in the great lakes should always carry a pair of these or similar ones in back of boat. Better to cut cable than what you mentioned could and has happened.

I suggest keeping a pair of leather gloves next to the wire cutters as well. Rubber band them together so both are available on a moment's notice.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Looks great Aaron, glad you're back on the water! Let me know if you head this way, havd a seat for you. Will make sure you get plenty of walleye to take back! Maybe a bag of perch if you can message me that homemade bluecheese recipe again. Cant find the dang thing!
You lost it?

That’s the BOMB MAN,

That stuff goes so well w/ Blackened Walleye.

I put gramps to bed in a chair in the middle of summer one year with that combo.

He had a cup of coffee, that fell right out of his hand he was so deep in the Blackened Walleye/Blue Cheese food combo coma……. Lol

I’ll get it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
You lost it?

That’s the BOMB MAN,

That stuff goes so well w/ Blackened Walleye.

I put gramps to bed in a chair in the middle of summer one year with that combo.

He had a cup of coffee, that fell right out of his hand he was so deep in the Blackened Walleye/Blue Cheese food combo coma……. Lol

I’ll get it to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember when you made it at that salmon outing it was awesome. Would like to do another one of those but was thinking a little north, maybe Ludington in August. Not sure if Steve (SSwhitelightning) even salmon fishes anymore.. :LOL:

·
Registered
266 Posts
They are mainly catching whitefish.. Don't beat a dead horse, I'm not for them but as long as they aren't pushing for walleye and other gamefish any longer I don't care. And whitefish numbers have been decreasing since the Zebra and Quagga Mussels have depleted the diporea shrimp that used to be a main food base for them.
Tell this to the people in tawas who religiously like clockwork could catch whitefish from the pier year after year. Dnr grants serafin to net additional whitefish in Huron and wouldn’t ya know immediately hardly any whitefish now show up in tawas. It’s not rocket science bro. We all agree the muscles changed the Lake dynamic but it doesn’t take a genius to see the reality of what the netters actually do. Zebras and quaggas were here and whitefish were still abundant until they allowed commercial guys to net waters previously off limits. So as far as I’m concerned yes I do believe the science but I am not buying into it and calling ******** on it as far as whitefish are concerned because they were still around in numbers and thriving long after the Huron crash due to said science you’ve stated.

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
Tell this to the people in tawas who religiously like clockwork could catch whitefish from the pier year after year. Dnr grants serafin to net additional whitefish in Huron and wouldn’t ya know immediately hardly any whitefish now show up in tawas. It’s not rocket science bro. We all agree the muscles changed the Lake dynamic but it doesn’t take a genius to see the reality of what the netters actually do. Zebras and quaggas were here and whitefish were still abundant until they allowed commercial guys to net waters previously off limits. So as far as I’m concerned yes I do believe the science but I am not buying into it and calling **** on it as far as whitefish are concerned because they were still around in numbers and thriving long after the Huron crash due to said science you’ve stated.
Them whitefish been going down long before his nets off Harbor Beach. They've all netted them for years in between.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
Ended up 4-6 last night night. Was pretty bumpy.

Started right at 5. Hit a big steelhead at 100’ on a blue flasher fly 6 color.

The other 5 bites came between 140-170 on a small pod of fish. 2 kings and a coho. That’s same flasher fly went 3 times and 3 other hits on spoons. Blue was the ticket.

3 of the 6 bites came between 9-10pm.

Somehow my board cut my braid on a 200 copper with a SD and meat rig That sucked!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks for that post. Haven’t fished out of Muskegon before and am going tomorrow. Any advice from the group would be appreciated on where the most recent reports of nets are to watch out for, which launch to use, or the correct fishing program. Thanks in advance and happy Father’s Day to those it applies to.

101 - 120 of 144 Posts