Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
So the weekend of 6-4-22 there were actually 3 sets of nets,.
2 of them pretty close to each other, one set in the 80ft range that you found there, another set close to those that are straight west in 100ish fow, the other nets were back in the 80 fow (guessing a mile) North of the first set.
I should have said something last weekend but slipped my mind. The only reason we found the third set is because the wind got bad in a hurry last weekend and we went shallow for a few.

·
Premium Member
5,748 Posts
We are still so new we didn’t know for sure what they were just figured we should stay away.

Are they fishing nets?

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
Tough to manage a quality fishery with random F’ing nets along the shoreline!! Hell, I thought we were just battling the tribes!! What a bunch of morons we must be to let this go on then bitch about certain species in decline! Don’t tell me, “They’re only catching whitefish & suckers”! Pshh. Add this to the “subsistence” nets strewn thru out the lake & its like tryin to fill up a bucket with a hole in it!?

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's a give and take, tons of people buy whitefish from the great lakes. I'd sure rather have it that way than have all the people who like eating fish out there fishing! Those people have been commercial fishing for generations, it is their livelihood.

I do agree that nets need to be better marked. They have them all over the place up here in superior and can be difficult to spot if it's wavy.

Seems like the fish orient around the nets like they are structure. I have had success trolling around them down there in Muskegon as well as here out of Marquette.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
You think they’re only catching whitefish? Do you know there are studies going on in Lake Michigan to determine why the whitefish numbers are down in the majority of the lake?
They are mainly catching whitefish.. Don't beat a dead horse, I'm not for them but as long as they aren't pushing for walleye and other gamefish any longer I don't care. And whitefish numbers have been decreasing since the Zebra and Quagga Mussels have depleted the diporea shrimp that used to be a main food base for them.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Heard similar arguments for non tribal netters in the 80’s. No business owner has a “right” to exploit public trust resources. Most non tribal netters went out of business in the 60’s and those in business today should only be allowed managed quotas for non game non target species with gear that has low by catch mortality. We offered an alternative to a few non tribal operations to switch to non game species in the 80’s but they weren’t interested. Instead they were insistent they wanted yellow perch and lake whitefish. Get rid of non tribal whitefish netting and we may see a rebound in lake whitefish stock.

Sorry for the off topic response, my bad. Its just that I have a real problem with allowing a select few individuals to profit off a public trust resource at the expense of the public. Is their harvest still considered in the non tribal share of resource allocation in tribal negotiations?

·
Premium Member
31,311 Posts
They are mainly catching whitefish.. Don't beat a dead horse, I'm not for them but as long as they aren't pushing for walleye and other gamefish any longer I don't care. And whitefish numbers have been decreasing since the Zebra and Quagga Mussels have depleted the diporea shrimp that used to be a main food base for them.
Oh they're still pushing for the walleye since whitefish are depleteing. There was a bill passed not long ago that took away alot of the power from the DNR director. 😩 Was snuck through under the radar.
Marine led lights should be manditory on net flags imo.
They should be marked with solar lights similar to ones you line a driveway except maybe more streamline and taller to mount to flag poles. Also i think they should have their own color like a bright yellow. Something not confused with others.

81 - 100 of 144 Posts