Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

81 - 100 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Lake Ontario has been fun the last two years. Got a week planned May 7-14 2022 again.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
153 Posts
Fished a long day, was by no means hot fishing, fish were scattered went 7 for 16, alot of hits with no one home. fished from 120 out to 240, back to 120.. most fish were 185-210' one in 127' 200,250,300 copper, mag wire dipsey out 270, rigger down 70 and its slider all had action, nothing on flasher flys. green jeans, green jeans rv, wonderbread, and mixed vegetables moonshine spoons, mag and standard took hits/fish. 2.2-2.6 sog.. 2.6-3.0 probe down 70.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
View attachment 769683

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pretty similar day here,
we ended up with 2 kings and 5 coho.
All fish except 1 were caught on the downriggers, Had 1 coho hit a mag blue dolphin on 300 copper, the rest of the coho were on sliders with various orange spoons. One king was on a mag bloody nose 75 out and 70 down, the other was on a mag carbon14, 100 out and 60 down.
We had flasher flys out n high and low divers all day with no luck, also tried a Jplug out there for a little while.
Our efforts were concentrated in the 175 to 220 fow, most fish were 200 to 210 area.

·
Premium Member
1,575 Posts
Fished Muskegon Sunday (5/30) evening and Monday (5/31) evening. Sunday we covered 150-240 fow and couldn't buy a bite. Monday we started in 120 fow, worked out to 220 fow, then back to 150 fow. Picked up a small king in 200 fow on a Moonshine Mongolian Beef on a dipsy set on 2, out 140 feet. When we pulled rods, we had a 9-10" coho (released) dragging behind a dipsy for who knows how long. Only a handful of good marks, but the screen was covered with tiny hooks from 40-70 down for several miles. No idea what they could have been, but the few times we had good "salmon" type hooks, they were 10x the size of the small marks. Garmin Echomap UHD 93sv in Chirp mode.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Crawfish we went out of PS the other week and when I turned my sensitivity up I noticed the same thing and they couldn't have been much bigger than 10-12"comparing those blips to my cannon ball marks on my Helix10 and 20-40' down consistently marking.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Nice morning on lake. 9 for 14 including two throw back kings. Fished Muskegon pretty much straight out. Started in 160 and worked around to 220 for a while then ventured out to 350ish. There was a couple little scum lines out there but not much happening on them. Water is pretty much cold top to bottom with no real break anywhere. Almost all fish were on high lines. 3,5,7 cores, 67 rigger and one on high diver out 150. Couple bites on meat rig on the deep rigger from 75 down to 190 and just a couple head shakes on the release. No big kings today or coho for that matter. 4 steelhead, 3 lakers and 2 throwback kings. Great to be out with great crew today. Wondering around in the clear abyss waters I could see probe on rigger down 35 ft. One steelehead was clipped so we put the head in freezer for tagging study and also the stomach in freezer for the diet study. 3 out of 4 steelhead were packed full of bugs, ants, beetles, you name it bugs and I mean packed full. No bait fish in any stomach today. Spoon bite and anything with orange helped.
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6318.JPG

·
Registered
888 Posts
A day late. Fished Muskegon yesterday morning with a buddy. Went 4 for 6, 2 Coho, a small king and a nice steelie. Fished 150 to 300. All but one came on a east troll around 220-230fow. No pattern other than blue & green spoons.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Fished Muskegon last evening ( 6/1/2021) and got two kings and one steelhead. 175 - 200 FOW was best for me with one rigger at 100 down and the other at 60. The kings hit on regular size Green Jeans and the steelhead hit on Lemon Ice spoon 145 back on Dipsy set on 3.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
2 for 3 today. 1 throwback king...I mid sized steel and one other rip. All on 5 color w uv mixed veggie stingrays. 210 or so.

·
Registered
24 Posts
6/3/21 left the dock at 5:15am to an absolutely flat glass calm lake. Setup with 6 rods in 160 ft of water and trolled NNW. Saw few fish on screen and hit steelhead on 3 color with a regular flounder pounder moonshine, 150 copper goes another steelhead in 220 with a magic man SS while fighting that one 150 high braid diver with bloody nose takes a rip and gone. 5 color goes in 250 with a orange and gold super slim. Nothing for a while and just keep wondering around. Put a #3 red head silver bullet j plug on braid diver out 100 and it fires in 5 minutes with a laker in 325ft. Ended day 4 for 5 and none of deeper rods or rigger were touched. Nice day to be out with good company.
IMG_6340.JPG
IMG_6343.JPG
IMG_6349.JPG

·
Registered
425 Posts
That steelhead looks to be a planted fish. Can't tell exactly, but, that laker looks to be, too. You can turn in that steelhead head for a chance to win $100 at the end of the season. The DNR is looking for those planted fish heads to be turned in and they are giving away 33 $100 prizes at the end of the season. Each head turned in is an entry in the raffle. I was lucky and won one of the prizes last year. A $100 gift card to Captain Chuck's.

Reactions: kroppe

·
Registered
24 Posts
That steelhead looks to be a planted fish. Can't tell exactly, but, that laker looks to be, too. You can turn in that steelhead head for a chance to win $100 at the end of the season. The DNR is looking for those planted fish heads to be turned in and they are giving away 33 $100 prizes at the end of the season. Each head turned in is an entry in the raffle. I was lucky and won one of the prizes last year. A $100 gift card to Captain Chuck's.
Yes it was 2 of the 3 were clipped, both heads went into the freezer at snug harbor with proper documentation. One was also clipped on Tuesday and that head went to freezer. Way back in the day I did a number of short term projects and internships with the biologists of the Lake Erie fisheries unit and the data that gets collected is really interesting. I always try to help where I can.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Tough fishing out of muskegon yesterday morning at least for silver anyway. Trolled from 90 out to 220 and back only managing a steelhead. Several boats with only a few fish. Decided to troll through the arms for some entertainment and we were not disappointed. 7 of our 10 rods started ripping in a 60 second span. The sheep were out in full force. Good fun for our crew so we reset and landed 6 more. Hopefully the fishing improves by the weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
View attachment 771035 Tough fishing out of muskegon yesterday morning at least for silver anyway. Trolled from 90 out to 220 and back only managing a steelhead. Several boats with only a few fish. Decided to troll through the arms for some entertainment and we were not disappointed. 7 of our 10 rods started ripping in a 60 second span. The sheep were out in full force. Good fun for our crew so we reset and landed 6 more. Hopefully the fishing improves by the weekend.
Thanks for report. 10 rod spread inside the arms is impressive, the sheep’s are always up for a good fight.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Super foggy today. 7 for 7. 18.5 lb king, 2 shaker kings, 2 steelhead, a coho, and a laker. No real pattern today and every fish hit a different rod. 3 color, 5 color, 150 copper, rigger down 65, slider on rigger, mag wire diver out 400 with a blue chin salmon candy spoon. Started in about 80 fow and worked out. Nothing inside of 126ft and then out to 250 and deepest bite was about 220. Nice and cool on water today.

IMG_6390.JPG

IMG_6394.JPG

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Just wondering...there is a weather buoy to the north of mkg in 150 fow....anyone know what that is and whether there is access on the web with the data from it? I have the link to the one in 72 fow south....any ideas?

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
that's the one south and in 72 FOW. The one I am talking about is north a bit and in 150 FOW.....just was out very close to it last week......looks identical but I cannot find any info on it. I have also seen it over the last few years out at 150 FOW.

here is the GLERL site for the same one:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I seen that one in 150ft also trolled just west of it. north of weather bouy I came across a net thought I was driving into,luckily I was at the end of it in 140ft

81 - 100 of 110 Posts