Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who fishes out of Muskegon? It's my "home port" although I don't live close to it. I launch out of Snug Harbor and sometimes camp at Muskegon State Park.

The boat launch and cleaning station are good facilities. The campground is perfectly located for either an early morning launch, or a late evening return to port.

I have caught most fish straight out and slightly south, in 60-120 FOW, running the usual stuff. Spoons, plugs and meat are my go-tos.

Inside the outer pier arms and in the channel can be decent for walleye and big fish whose name I am unable to speak or write, because it is unmentionable.

I hope to be on the water a week to 10 days before Memorial Day. That has been a good time for mid-teens bright silver kings.

Please post your Muskegon posts here.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Who fishes out of Muskegon? It's my "home port" although I don't live close to it. I launch out of Snug Harbor and sometimes camp at Muskegon State Park.

The boat launch and cleaning station are good facilities. The campground is perfectly located for either an early morning launch, or a late evening return to port.

I have caught most fish straight out and slightly south, in 60-120 FOW, running the usual stuff. Spoons, plugs and meat are my go-tos.

Inside the outer pier arms and in the channel can be decent for walleye and big fish whose name I am unable to speak or write, because it is unmentionable.

I hope to be on the water a week to 10 days before Memorial Day. That has been a good time for mid-teens bright silver kings.

Thanks, Kroppe. I've never fished Muskegon or a lot of the West Side ports but that's all going to change this summer. New boat, new plan and a few new species. I really appreciate the steer too. Its tough for a new guy on a new territory and although I will eventually find my way its always very welcome when someone makes it a little easier. Best wishes for a fish filled season to you and everyone else making their way on the big water.

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kroppe. I've never fished Muskegon or a lot of the West Side ports but that's all going to change this summer. New boat, new plan and a few new species. I really appreciate the steer too. Its tough for a new guy on a new territory and although I will eventually find my way its always very welcome when someone makes it a little easier. Best wishes for a fish filled season to you and everyone else making their way on the big water.
Great news @ETW . Another good feature about Muskegon is the relatively short boat ride to the fishing grounds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am a fairly recent new comer to West Michigan and reside in the Ada/Grand Rapids area. Muskegon was the port I fished most last year and had a very decent year. I have my captains license and fully rigged Lund with most of my salmon experience on Lake Ontario. Michigan is a bit different, but there is always something new to learn. I don’t have many fishing buddies yet so if anyone ever wants to fish mainly during the week send me a message. I hate fishing myself because it is more fun when you can put more than 3 rods out. Looking forward to breaking in 15 new tekotas this summer. Didn’t break the 30lb mark last year but plan on changing that this year. Can’t wait to post up some fishing reports.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

·
Registered
203 Posts
Muskegon is my "home" port and I fish it more than most others I have a little lower expectations for her, I've done much better out of PortSheldon or even north to Whitehall. After pounding fish in SouthHaven for a month straight I need to do a little reality check when it comes to early summer fishing. We have turned the boat over to a little more of a walleye chaser once June/July rolls around and Im liking it more and more.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts

Um, Snug is MINE, not yours....... lol, Just kidding we can share, I am up there ALLOT, maybe to much/often.
Lets put it this way, I am up there often enough to know members who "Hero Post", but do not "Fail Post"

Campground has had the second loop closed for 2 years now due to Muskegon Lake Levels, I hope the lake goes DOWN and opens that loop back up.

Snug is AWESOME if not camping as well. You can get up at O-DARK Thirty, go fishing, come back, hang a hammock, and nap in the shade. Its AWESOME. I have done that, and used a Digital Inverter, to charge my batteries, nap in the Hammock, and go back out in the evening. I should point out that this is when its NOT a Holiday weekend.

Holiday weekends get there early as last year it was @ capacity more than a few times. This was partly due to Holland, & Grand Haven lots being under water, and no place else to launch on the west side of the state. Made Snug a ZOO.

I have caught fish straight out, South, North, Rain, anything from 70 to 250 foot of water.

Also of note, BEWARE OF NETS. There were 2 sets of 3 last year, 3 to the North and 3 to the South, from 70 to 150 foot.

OE

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Water is down....I drove down edgewater to the sand docks a few days ago. They had big issues last summer, and there were no problems..but the ice was still there on mkg lake.

Buddy of mine said one house got condemned due to flood damage.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I am out of Mona Lake. Switched over to a pontoon so have some rigging of the boat to do. I probably wont be out as much as past years but I will still get out.
The water is indeed down a foot or two.
Not sure how muskegon ice is right now, but mona is fully open.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts

Good post. I’m over in Big Rapids area usually fish Ludington or Pentwater. Fished out of Muskegon only two times. Is Snug Harbor a state ramp?
Thanks

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Has anyone put eyes on the docks at Snug Harbor/Muskegon State Park? Are they in yet?

·
Registered
9,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maiden voyage in two weeks, I hope the weather cooperates. The boat is ready to go, I have some small discretionary projects I want to get done before hitting the water.

Any recent reports out of Muskegon? Any changes this year at the Snug Harbor docks or cleaning station?

1 - 20 of 110 Posts