Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished with Kush and rick (Flyfisher) in my boat today. Brisk morning and day on the lake even with the top, sides, and heater on. Ended up wit 2 walleyes 5-6 lbs, 3 pike 25-30", and a bonus 12 lb steely. Kush will post pics, great time on the water before it goes hard on us. 34-38 degrees in the lake today depending on where we were. Blue glass and fire tiger were good on 2 color core and deep divers. Thx for joining me guys had a blast.

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Had a great day with Tim and Rick out on the Lake. I've spent the better part of the fall with a gun in my hand so I had to try to get use to watching planer boards instead of watching for ducks. :) I was really impressed by the size of the eyes and pike and the picture of the Steelie doesn't do it justice. Anyway, great morning with a great couple of guys.

Boards on the troll

Stein and his steelie

Ric and Tim

Great Mixed Bag. :)

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Thanks Tim, as always...the walleye was quite tasty :D and I even got home early enough to wack a X-mas tree (which I now have to put up). I had a great time!

Nice fishing with you, Steve...will have to do it again!!!

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,422 Posts
Nice batch of piggie-pies there BoYz!!
BeeFY Steel , Tim!
I was supposed to go out on Fremont , but got talked into a trip to Jay's in Clare instead....
My hands don't smell funny at least!!
LOL
:lol:

I better go check the Whitefish in the sm0ker now...
:corkysm55

Nice Job!
:D
Robert

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nice job on the day time eyes and, bonus Crome, (sry but Slimers don't count) boys

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
Anybody know where I can find the video of the guy filleting a walleye that was posted last year? I did a fairly good job, but I had my problems filleting the pike. I'd love to find a "how to" video on how to fillet pike. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great pix Steve, thanks for doing that. I have had my share of trouble filleting those pike as well, that's why I don't keep them myself. I have seen that video but cannot remember where. You may want to post a ? thread in warm water.

I cleaned that steely yesterday and it was packed with skeins.:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I kept both pike and walleye sat and had them both for dinner sat night. Fellas I will take a pike at the table over them walleyes any day. Yes they are a pain to clean but I personally like them better at the table. Once you completly butcher a few you will get the picture I learned and still use the method outlined in the in fishermans book on pike. Works great and no bones. the bonus this time of year is the slime will freeze and then its not so bad. Plus if your new to the game they are alot eiser to catch. I am slowly but surely getting hooked on the eyes though. but it aint cuz there better eating IMO. Glass deep hj back 75-80 was the best for me on sat. Blue glass being second

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
STEINFISHSKI said:
Great pix Steve, thanks for doing that. I have had my share of trouble filleting those pike as well, that's why I don't keep them myself. I have seen that video but cannot remember where. You may want to post a ? thread in warm water.

I cleaned that steely yesterday and it was packed with skeins.:)
I think I'll post a thread today, I got the Walleye pretty much boneless with 2 real nice looking fillets from what I remembered from that video. The pike however, I butchered one of them pretty good and the other two I was able to cut out most of the bones I found.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Nice catch fellas. . . I am sure you kept nice a warm out there. :D

·
Registered
7,939 Posts
omega58 said:
Nice catch fellas. . . I am sure you kept nice a warm out there. :D
Tim had a nice heater and a cover, except for the occasional frost bit hands when we had our gloves off re-setting lines it wasn't too bad. :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Fish4dinner said:
I kept both pike and walleye sat and had them both for dinner sat night. Fellas I will take a pike at the table over them walleyes any day. Yes they are a pain to clean but I personally like them better at the table. Once you completly butcher a few you will get the picture I learned and still use the method outlined in the in fishermans book on pike. Works great and no bones. the bonus this time of year is the slime will freeze and then its not so bad. Plus if your new to the game they are alot eiser to catch. I am slowly but surely getting hooked on the eyes though. but it aint cuz there better eating IMO. Glass deep hj back 75-80 was the best for me on sat. Blue glass being second
:yeahthat:
I second the pike being better eating and the In Fisherman diagram on how to clean them.

·
Super Moderator
MMMmmm Scooby Snacks RULE!
16,422 Posts
Tim , Kush and Flyfisher - How do you guys feel about those statements...
Pike better eatin' than eYes??

NO WAY!!

:bash:

I know how I feel.........
slimerz=

LOL!

10-4 on the BONUS of skein , CBH!

:evilsmile

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think pike are great on the table when someone else cleans and cooks them.:lol: Especially through the ice or 34 degree water.:corkysm55

As far as the slime and bones walleye are easier to clean , especially off the boat and taste as good or better. My livewell still stinks from the slimers though.:bash: Rick says he loves to eat them, but did not take any home either. Besides he's the one who caught them anyway.:evil:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Personal taste boys. Personal taste. They are all great when you get to catch them first.........I think next year I will be trying some of them freemont eyes. Sounds like the game was on up there this fall.

·
Registered
12,984 Posts
Fish4dinner said:
Personal taste boys. Personal taste. They are all great when you get to catch them first.........I think next year I will be trying some of them freemont eyes. Sounds like the game was on up there this fall.
Na, you don't want to fish Fremont. It sucks. It's alway rough. It's always windy. The fish are small. Double Trouble wouldn't like it. The ramp sucks. Too many bass (not that this is a bad thing!). Pike steal your baits. There's just tons of reasons to stay off Fremont.

:evil:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts