Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick fishing report from my Saturday on the water. Alarm was set at 3 am, boat launched at 6. I was fishing solo and launched out of Wyandotte.

It was packed along the islands and in front of the steel mill. I got a hit immediately on my first drift but he came off. After two drifts in a light snow and a big pack of boats, I decided to try elsewhere.

I had never gone north on the river (and no Canadian license so east wasn't an option, but I'm thinking of rectifying that), so I headed up past the Ambassador Bridge and I went all the way up to the next bridge. Notably, there were only a couple of other boats and they weren't packed up. I did one long drift all the way down past the Detroit Princess. I got one on the boat just before the Ren Cen and one just after the Princess. I also found that this area is much more snaggy than the steel mill, so I headed back to the launch, drifted the mill one more time with no bite, and then stopped back at the launch to buy heads and bodies.

Next stop was the long and treacherous trip across Erie and let me say that I have grown to hate that lake. No matter how calm the DR is, I've been on Erie three times over the past few weeks and it's felt like an episode of Wicked Tuna whatwith waves crashing over the bow and such turbulence that I'm unable to stay on plane for much of the trip.

Gripes aside, I eventually got to my destination after an hour long slog - the Hot Pond. While in there I targeted white bass (landed 1), then sheepshead (landed 3), and finally catfish (landed 4). I saw loons, bald eagles, hawks, etc. Just an awesome spot.

After getting back to the Detroit River around 7 pm, I went to a spot where I saw guys catching white bass. It's no secret revealed to say that the area around the new sanctuary dock is a good location for these fish, and I quickly picked up 5 more with the sun setting.

Last stop was back where I started for one final drift, only this time there were no other boats and it was dark. Lo and behold, I boated two more eyes! I considered another drift, but I had agreed (with myself) that it was one drift and done.

I don't think it was time of day, so much, that affected my success but instead I think that the flotilla moves the fish. It certainly makes sense that a stream of hundreds of fishing lines in a condensed area would bump them. I think that going forward I'll try harder to focus on my fish finder, read bottoms, look for diving birds, etc etc and only join the weekend warrior navy for short bursts.

Last note, it was almost entirely blue ice with either a black or antifreeze jig. I switched to pimp daddy for a little bit after I lost all of my blue, but to no success. For the other species, I use a tungsten deep sea jig that, if worked in different ways, depths, and cadences can get almost anything to bite.

Macs out!

Editor's note: Since somebody thinks he's funny and says it EVERY TIME, no I didn't hook myself in the lips and yes, I have piercings. Oooh, how exotic ::dismissive sarcasm::
20200509_060422.jpeg
20200509_093324.jpeg
20200509_155806.jpeg
20200509_165057.jpeg
20200509_173836.jpeg
20200510_120018.jpeg
20200510_120210.jpeg
20200510_130103.jpeg
20200510_194131.jpeg
20200510_194857.jpeg
20200510_183814.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
I will give you a lot of credit for being persistent. That’s a lot of miles to travel but you apparently got what you came for. Good job.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice report, looks like a boat load of fish. Can always try deeper, shallower, or upstream or downstream or packs when they set up. Steel mills it seems a lot of boats target the 30 to 35 fow. Try 40 to 45 fow to get on unpressured fish.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Thanks for that advice. That's my current thought. The packs are there for a reason, but when it's so many, it disturbs the fish. So, they'll move. That makes me think that a little ways from the packs might be best when it's crowded.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Th
Quick fishing report from my Saturday on the water. Alarm was set at 3 am, boat launched at 6. I was fishing solo and launched out of Wyandotte.

It was packed along the islands and in front of the steel mill. I got a hit immediately on my first drift but he came off. After two drifts in a light snow and a big pack of boats, I decided to try elsewhere.

I had never gone north on the river (and no Canadian license so east wasn't an option, but I'm thinking of rectifying that), so I headed up past the Ambassador Bridge and I went all the way up to the next bridge. Notably, there were only a couple of other boats and they weren't packed up. I did one long drift all the way down past the Detroit Princess. I got one on the boat just before the Ren Cen and one just after the Princess. I also found that this area is much more snaggy than the steel mill, so I headed back to the launch, drifted the mill one more time with no bite, and then stopped back at the launch to buy heads and bodies.

Next stop was the long and treacherous trip across Erie and let me say that I have grown to hate that lake. No matter how calm the DR is, I've been on Erie three times over the past few weeks and it's felt like an episode of Wicked Tuna whatwith waves crashing over the bow and such turbulence that I'm unable to stay on plane for much of the trip.

Gripes aside, I eventually got to my destination after an hour long slog - the Hot Pond. While in there I targeted white bass (landed 1), then sheepshead (landed 3), and finally catfish (landed 4). I saw loons, bald eagles, hawks, etc. Just an awesome spot.

After getting back to the Detroit River around 7 pm, I went to a spot where I saw guys catching white bass. It's no secret revealed to say that the area around the new sanctuary dock is a good location for these fish, and I quickly picked up 5 more with the sun setting.

Last stop was back where I started for one final drift, only this time there were no other boats and it was dark. Lo and behold, I boated two more eyes! I considered another drift, but I had agreed (with myself) that it was one drift and done.

I don't think it was time of day, so much, that affected my success but instead I think that the flotilla moves the fish. It certainly makes sense that a stream of hundreds of fishing lines in a condensed area would bump them. I think that going forward I'll try harder to focus on my fish finder, read bottoms, look for diving birds, etc etc and only join the weekend warrior navy for short bursts.

Last note, it was almost entirely blue ice with either a black or antifreeze jig. I switched to pimp daddy for a little bit after I lost all of my blue, but to no success. For the other species, I use a tungsten deep sea jig that, if worked in different ways, depths, and cadences can get almost anything to bite.

Macs out!

Editor's note: Since somebody thinks he's funny and says it EVERY TIME, no I didn't hook myself in the lips and yes, I have piercings. Oooh, how exotic ::dismissive sarcasm:: View attachment 531143 View attachment 531145 View attachment 531147 View attachment 531149 View attachment 531151 View attachment 531153 View attachment 531155 View attachment 531157 View attachment 531159 View attachment 531161 View attachment 531163

that last sheep picture is awesome man. Thanks for the report

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Thanks for that advice. That's my current thought. The packs are there for a reason, but when it's so many, it disturbs the fish. So, they'll move. That makes me think that a little ways from the packs might be best when it's crowded.

naw the packs are there because the first guy out in the morning on that drift was there. Then 2 boats drove by and thought there MUST be fish there because hes fishing it and before long more boats passing by saw 3 boats there and thought wow they must be onto something...there's fish everywhere in the river right now just use your electronics to pinpoint where they are most congregated. Normally on the first or second drop offs early then deeper as the morning progresses to afternoon.

Once Cdn water opens back up try at the tip of Fghting Island anytime spring or summer literally run over that yellow bouy there and start drifting back until around 15 fow and repeat.

Nice catches Mac! Love the multispecies catch and keep! Persistence pays off for sure. Nice to see that gar those are really interesting fish just like a sturgeon they are a glimpse of our ancient past.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great catch! You had some good battles with the cats, sheepshead and white bass. How did the gar fight?
Gar don't fight a ton until you get them to the surface and then they wiggle and whip around like a possessed snake. Lol. You really have to take time to get them free of lure and line or you'll do unintentional dentistry on them.

I use an 8' old school, medium action Ugly Stik and even with that pole and my Abu Revo reel, those big cats and sheepers make it bend like a noodle rod and peel drag. Awesome fishes to fight.

·
Registered
18,281 Posts
Heck of a mixed bag. And trip.

All read great , except for the slammin slog across Erie....:cheeky-sm

Reactions: Macs13

·
Premium Member
6,305 Posts
I know you know this, and it was probably part of your planned adventure for the day, but there are about a zillion better ways to get to the hot ponds than from Wyandotte. Holy smokes, that's a tournament grade commute!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know you know this, and it was probably part of your planned adventure for the day, but there are about a zillion better ways to get to the hot ponds than from Wyandotte. Holy smokes, that's a tournament grade commute!
Correct on all accounts. Lol.

The DR was quite placid, so I was hoping for a nice ride with maybe some jigging on the way. Should've known better. That lake hates me.

·
Registered
776 Posts
naw the packs are there because the first guy out in the morning on that drift was there. Then 2 boats drove by and thought there MUST be fish there because hes fishing it and before long more boats passing by saw 3 boats there and thought wow they must be onto something...there's fish everywhere in the river right now just use your electronics to pinpoint where they are most congregated. Normally on the first or second drop offs early then deeper as the morning progresses to afternoon.

Once Cdn water opens back up try at the tip of Fghting Island anytime spring or summer literally run over that yellow bouy there and start drifting back until around 15 fow and repeat.

Nice catches Mac! Love the multispecies catch and keep! Persistence pays off for sure. Nice to see that gar those are really interesting fish just like a sturgeon they are a glimpse of our ancient past.
I could not agree more with this post I have seen it with my own eyes ill fish a spot no one is at then there is another boat a bit later there are two more boats and it grows from there. Meanwhile me and the second boat to arrive still have not caught a fish but there are a bunch of boats around not catching. as said in above post use electronics cover different depths look for signs of life birds, bait, whatever. when all else fails and i cant find fish on my own then ill go try the pack but most times do not do any better there either, not to mention the atmosphere is worse. I learned to not assume others know more than me, plus i just dont like fishing around a bunch of boats unless its on fire then ill make an exception lol. dont get me wrong i pay attention if i see all kinds of nets coming out and im not getting a sniff then ill get in line lol.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That sheephead inhaled that bait! Looks like a fun day to me! I don't eat fish so I like catching them all!
Yeah it did. The biggest catfish was even more in the mouth. Needed needlenose to pry his mouth open and forceps to get the lure back. They LOVE those deep sea jigging spoons.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Yeah it did. The biggest catfish was even more in the mouth. Needed needlenose to pry his mouth open and forceps to get the lure back. They LOVE those deep sea jigging spoons.

Young man, I've read your posts. Saw your picture for the first time with this thread. Anyone comments on how you look, F them.
I am happy that someone at your age, with your sense of style, has taken to an outdoor pursuit such as fishing with such passion. Too many people your age are wasting their lives, staring at their phones.
Good luck, tight lines, introduce others your age to the sport you love so much.
Good job.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Young man, I've read your posts. Saw your picture for the first time with this thread. Anyone comments on how you look, F them.
I am happy that someone at your age, with your sense of style, has taken to an outdoor pursuit such as fishing with such passion. Too many people your age are wasting their lives, staring at their phones.
Good luck, tight lines, introduce others your age to the sport you love so much.
Good job.
Thank you very much.

I may not be quite as young as I look, but I appreciate the sentiment. Any excuse to be OUTSIDE and enjoying nature and the opportunities this diverse state offers is good for me.

Now the goal is to bring my son with me as much as possible so that he at least has the experiences.

More tackle box, less Xbox is what I like to say.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts