Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all your short tail Mud Buddy Motor owners.

I have a 27HP short tail, Mud Buddy. What pitch and diameter do you feel is the best for both Holeshot and top end ?

I am working with my prop builder for my other hobby (boat racing) to build a good prop. (Ron Hill). I will be seeing him soon at a boat race and wanted to give him some input. Ron is a good guy in all honesty and has built props for just about everything. in fact, a couple major motor makers buy all their mud props from him. I get to provide him with some real experience and feedback. As well all know, there is room for improvment on factory props.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
I have a question for all your short tail Mud Buddy Motor owners.

I have a 27HP short tail, Mud Buddy. What pitch and diameter do you feel is the best for both Holeshot and top end ?

I am working with my prop builder for my other hobby (boat racing) to build a good prop. (Ron Hill). I will be seeing him soon at a boat race and wanted to give him some input. Ron is a good guy in all honesty and has built props for just about everything. in fact, a couple major motor makers buy all their mud props from him. I get to provide him with some real experience and feedback. As well all know, there is room for improvment on factory props.
if your motor is stock. Ron's gonna know what set you up with. almost all the mud guys order props from him. just tell him what you want outa performance.

seems that when u start getting away from stock prop your either gonna sacrifice holeshot or top end....stock prop pitch is gonna give the mid range of those 2.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kid,

Thanks, but we are gonna work on developing a new one based off a stock one, then sell it to the motor factories. I have known Ron for a lot of years through racing. We have worked together before developing a gearcase for a race engine and not that his boy Chad has bought a new place and is making a go full time at prop building, he has some time to work. So this is kind of a chance for us to come up with something new and better, if possible. Never know if you don't try. We want to stay stock engine for now, and adjust some pitch and diameters, and the key component being cup. I am aching to put a real racing prop on it and see how fast a stocker will go on my duck boat on a lake. But I am going to concentrate on 5 MPH with new development in props for now, and not give up any punch. We do this in the hydroplanes so it is possible with these I believe.

·
Registered
11,638 Posts
Kid,

Thanks, but we are gonna work on developing a new one based off a stock one, then sell it to the motor factories. I have known Ron for a lot of years through racing. We have worked together before developing a gearcase for a race engine and not that his boy Chad has bought a new place and is making a go full time at prop building, he has some time to work. So this is kind of a chance for us to come up with something new and better, if possible. Never know if you don't try. We want to stay stock engine for now, and adjust some pitch and diameters, and the key component being cup. I am aching to put a real racing prop on it and see how fast a stocker will go on my duck boat on a lake. But I am going to concentrate on 5 MPH with new development in props for now, and not give up any punch. We do this in the hydroplanes so it is possible with these I believe.
how about diamond coating so i don't have to buy a new one every year?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Dave i'll test out a couple for you both. I'm running a 35 vanguard 36" outdrive with BPS duals and run a 12 1/4 dia. not sure of pitch. It's just like MB big blade whatever they are. It is the cupping thats important on the surface drives. I'd love to tray out a RH prop. I've heard good things about them. My outdrive has the 7/8 thread. Are you running the hex on yours?
Smoke

1 - 5 of 5 Posts