Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering is the English oak trees at MSU have started dropping acorns yet? Anyone know? I make the drive to collect acorns yearly and try to time the drop right.

Reactions: Big CC and Dish7

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
There maybe a few on the ground. October should be prime. Have a friend who works on Wilson Rd. I can contact to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There maybe a few on the ground. October should be prime. Have a friend who works on Wilson Rd. I can contact to find out.
Thanks that would be fantastic. I usually head over there the last weekend in September.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
last year I picked a bunch of sprouted ones by the vet clinic in november. English don't seem to drop until October, though the ones by me just started. I'll be there next week if anyone wants a report.

·
Registered
777 Posts
The white oaks around the Michigan Veterans Facility are dropping good numbers of acorns. In fact, so are the burr and red oak trees in the area. I’m not sure I remember seeing a year with more acorns in the ground from these trees.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
last year I picked a bunch of sprouted ones by the vet clinic in november. English don't seem to drop until October, though the ones by me just started. I'll be there next week if anyone wants a report.
An update would be great. I’m an hour and a half away but am planning to make a trip this fall to see if I can get some to try growing. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
13,476 Posts
I no longer gather EO's from MSU as my own trees produce all the seed acorns I could ever need; however, when I did go to Wilson Road I'd aim for a 10-day window ---last week of September, early days of October. I used those dates as they were recommended in a 1970's monograph on MSU's EO's by a couple of professors in the forestry department.

That paper suggested their tests showed the best germination and vigor in seedlings when acorns were collected then. Now, I have grown seedlings from acorns taken later, and in a non-test environment I'm not sure I could tell a difference. The upshot? I didn't get too hung up on collection date. So I collected when it worked for my work schedule.

My own EO's are having a good acorn year. Many trees are loaded. For that matter many of my native oaks....whites, swamp, and bur, are having a pretty good season too. (and my hickories --shagbark and bitternut --- are insanely loaded. Will be a headline year for squirrel hunting here.)

The EO acorns on my farm.....43 degrees latitude....are very green yet. I would not collect for sowing from my trees for perhaps another two weeks.(MSU is at 42.7 latitude....about 20miles southerly.)

As I have posted for years, I have found EO's to be...in general....the fastest producing of oaks. I do have an amazing bur oak that I bought from the county conservation service that is their equal, if not better, but that is just one tree out of many others that were planted. Not only are the EO's I first collected from at MSU, and now my own, early producers (I generally get first acorns at about the 7yr from nut age)....but they are more consistent than any of my other oaks (that single bur the exception), and they produce more prolifically.

I say 'first nuts at 7yrs'....but that is just a pint or two or so. On my deer-dirt it takes about the 10th year (from seed collection) before the tree is starting to hit its stride in being a bountiful producer.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I was visiting my daughter yesterday, so I did a Wilson Rd cruise and made a couple of stops. Looks like bur and red oaks are dropping. Didn't see any acorns that look like English oak yet. I'm no expert though.

·
Premium Member
13,476 Posts
"Didn't see any acorns that look like English oak yet. I'm no expert though."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D7, if you are in that area again, take a drive over to the campus police HQ on Red Cedar Road
(right across of from 'Ramp 5' on this map: MSU Campus Maps - Michigan State University )

There are (or were, it's been 3 or 4 years since last by there)...anyway, right in front of the Police HQ, on the west side of the road are 3 very productive EO's. I have collected from them in the past, and have thriving 8yr+ old trees on my farm from their acorns.

Another spot to look, go east bound on Wilson, and immediately after crossing Farm Lane there are several EO's on the southside of Wilson. They are good trees to collect from. You can park in the lot in front of the greenhouses....accessible from Wilson by a small drive on the south. It is a metered lot. Or used to be?

Now, the caveat: I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years. With the expansion of MSU a lot of construction has taken place. A lot of old trees have been cut down. All of what I typed above may now be outdated.

When I began collecting there decades ago....I had zeroed in on 4 EO's that were humongous producers whose acorns hung late in the tree. I collected exclusively from them (most were right near 'Foyer Gardens' on Wilson east of FarmLane. It has long since been removed).

The last time I was there 3 of those 4 trees had been removed. Gone forever.

So there is that.

Reactions: TJD and Big CC

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D7, if you are in that area again, take a drive over to the campus police HQ on Red Cedar Road
(right across of from 'Ramp 5' on this map: MSU Campus Maps - Michigan State University )

There are (or were, it's been 3 or 4 years since last by there)...anyway, right in front of the Police HQ, on the west side of the road are 3 very productive EO's. I have collected from them in the past, and have thriving 8yr+ old trees on my farm from their acorns.

Another spot to look, go east bound on Wilson, and immediately after crossing Farm Lane there are several EO's on the southside of Wilson. They are good trees to collect from. You can park in the lot in front of the greenhouses....accessible from Wilson by a small drive on the south. It is a metered lot. Or used to be?

Now, the caveat: I haven't been there in 3 or 4 years. With the expansion of MSU a lot of construction has taken place. A lot of old trees have been cut down. All of what I typed above may now be outdated.

When I began collecting there decades ago....I had zeroed in on 4 EO's that were humongous producers whose acorns hung late in the tree. I collected exclusively from them (most were right near 'Foyer Gardens' on Wilson east of FarmLane. It has long since been removed).

The last time I was there 3 of those 4 trees had been removed. Gone forever.

So there is that.
Great info, thanks! Worth a try.

·
Premium Member
13,476 Posts
Those acorns are way more mature than any on the trees on my farm. Mine are all still quite yellowish or greenish. Turning, to be sure....but still got at least 10days to go, IMO.

Reactions: throughtheice88

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
most of them are still green to yellow-brown. The ones in my neighborhood in mid michigan are about the same, though they have been falling green for a while.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Heading to Grand Rapids today to hunt for regular White Oak and to scout for Red Oak for next week. I figure the big system from Wednesday on should have put a majority of Whites on the ground now.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts