Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Mr. ******

4K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  jiggineyes 
#1 ·
Any of you master anglers like to target Whitefish? Im thinking Id like to try it this fall. Ive done a seach on MS and done a little homework on the tackle/techniques.

From what I can tell late Nov. into Dec. is the best time of year. Does anyone fish Whitefish up this way? When/where is my best chance to find them within a reasonable distance from TC?

PM if you'd prefer.

Gracias.

:help:

#2 ·
TAWAS :D Rifle season opener to into Dec. Get on the pier a few hours before daylight if you want a spot in morning, or fish late into night with glow ice jigs and waxies. If you fish at night get a flashlight to set on rail to wach your rodtips since they bite really light, use long sensitive poles(I use my steelhead rod) to get away from railing and get some rod holders for them to keep horizontal off the pier. Finesse bobber rig during daylight, fish within 1' of bottom. Never tried the boiled spawn over there, but it may work. Always did good on the waxies.

#3 ·
This one is on my "to do" list for this year seeing that my daughter is living in Tawas 3 blocks from the pier.:evil: Ralph, what test line is recommended for white fish off the pier ?

#7 · (Edited)
Did someone say....

Whitefish????? :D

UltimateOutdoorsMan said:
From what I can tell late Nov. into Dec. is the best time of year
Well.... depending on where at... if you wait this long... you might miss out on a good month of fishing!! ;)

#9 ·
Whitefish fishing isn't too hard to learn. I just got into it a year and a half ago. I caught quite a few this year jigging off my boat but come fall time, a fun place to try is the Tawas pier. I just used a size 8 or 10 ice fishing jig tipped with a wax worm or two underneath a slip bobber. I think I like eating them more than I like catching them.;)

#10 ·
Whitefish fishing isn't too hard to learn. I just got into it a year and a half ago. I caught quite a few this year jigging off my boat but come fall time, a fun place to try is the Tawas pier. I just used a size 8 or 10 ice fishing jig tipped with a wax worm or two underneath a slip bobber. I think I like eating them more than I like catching them.;)

Did you get any off the Maritime acad?

#11 ·
This one is on my "to do" list for this year seeing that my daughter is living in Tawas 3 blocks from the pier.:evil: Ralph, what test line is recommended for white fish off the pier ?
I've always used 4lb maxima, but may try some 6lb. flouro, there are some other fish around that are much bigger.

[Ralph, save me a spot on the dock. I'm in! Do I smell a ****** tourny???Capnhook]

Will do, I'll let you know ahead of time, just bring some more chile. :D Good stuff.mmmm. Will hopefully have some fresh venison by then and small grill.

#12 ·
When/where is my best chance to find them within a reasonable distance from TC?
I used to catch menominee off the north pier at Manistee mid-November about a decade ago. Lake whitefish and menominee typically move in to the piers around late Oct. Don't bother with Grand Haven, though. It's been close to a decade since they showed up there.

#13 ·
Thanks Ralph. Glow ice jigs,eh. Gonna have to bump that ficious fella for an early supply.;):D

#17 ·
Question for you guys. Ive never fished or caught a whitefish before. I was up in ludington the last week of September. We walked to the end of the north peir to take a look. there was a big school of fish right on the rocks pecking at the algae on them. Didnt know what they were . They were 1-4 pounds and silver. Looked like whitefish but didnt think they would be in there at the time. What were these fish? Any ideas?

#18 ·
Question for you guys. Ive never fished or caught a whitefish before. I was up in ludington the last week of September. We walked to the end of the north peir to take a look. there was a big school of fish right on the rocks pecking at the algae on them. Didnt know what they were . They were 1-4 pounds and silver. Looked like whitefish but didnt think they would be in there at the time. What were these fish? Any ideas?
Menominee maybe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.