Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beautiful, adorable, loving wife just picked up one for me at the TSC in New Baltimore for $59.00.

Just thought I'd let y'all know. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,838 Posts
wow thats a good deal. I was just looking at them yesterday at TSC in Saginaw and there are still 69.99. I wonder if they would price match that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,439 Posts
I just wanted everybody know that last weekend my wife was in the shanty. When I walked over to it all the zippers were shut tight, and we had snow packed around the shanty. So I rushed up and opened the top zippers and the rush of air that came out burned my eyes.

She spent the rest of the day very ill, and felt pretty bad the next day too.

just a heads up. I am getting a CO alarm now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,470 Posts
Banditto,
Sorry to hear everyone was feeling ill. But I'm glad it appears that everybody is ok. I always leave a zipper partially open if I'm not going to be in and out of the shanty for long periods. Just don't seal it up tight and everything should be fine. I'm usually in and out of the shanty on a regular basis so it hasn't been a problem. I really think that it's safe to run a heater in a shanty if you just let some fresh air in now and then.

BE SAFE !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
550 Posts
Originally posted by Banditto
............ I am getting a CO alarm now.
Doesn't the Mr Heater Buddy have an oxygen sensor already on it and shut off when levels are too low? Wouldn't that solve the problem without having to get a separate alarm?

Glad she's OK Banditto....scary.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,804 Posts
Banditto, Glad she'll be fine. I know from being around cars that CO takes awhile to get out of your system. Where you guy's on Houghton Lake?

On a lighter note and since it appears she will be fine, I just couldnt pass this up.....
Originally posted by Banditto
............ I rushed up and opened the top zippers and the rush of air that came out burned my eyes.
Are you sure it was CO that was burning your eyes? :eek: ;) :D :) :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,439 Posts
Nope we were at my cottage 40 miles east of HL. I usually keep the zippers cracked too, and when I saw they were fully shut I just about had a heart attack.

I work in a test lab with a hostile gas enviroment, and while CO is oderless you do grow accustomed to knowing when it is present. When I said burned my eyes, it is a very slight condition that took me years to realize what was going on.

The Buddy does have a low O2 shutoff, but if fresh air isn't replenishing the bad air you could be in serious trouble. 2 guys died out west last year in an airtight shanty.

BTW with 10F weather last weekend and a strong windchill the Buddy still was able to keep the shanty at 75F on high. I was a little surprised at that. It really cranks the BTU's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Banditto, I don't understand why the buddy wouldn't shut off if it wasn't getting fresh air. Isn't that the hole point, it will shut off if there isn't new oxygen comming in?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,767 Posts
think about it this way, if it got to the threshhold that it would shut off because of lack of oxygen, you may already be in big trouble, without proper ventilation to get rid of the now fouled air and replace some with new fresh air, you are going to remain in poisoned air, thus you are still in trouble.

steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,767 Posts
its a heater with an oxygen depletion sensor for auto shutoff..... I don't know if its technically catalytic or not.

looks like this:



steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,439 Posts
That's the one. Ya eventually the Mr. Buddy will turn off, but it more like "a keep you alive thing." But to reiterate, if you don't have fresh air coming in you will keep breathing the bad air and get very ill. My wife was throwing up, terrible headache, etc.

The sensor is really a thermal couple of some type, keeping an eye on the temp of the pilot. When the temp is out of range due to a different fuel/air ratio it shuts off--guessing at that by looking at the sensor.

Really neat unit, but the instructions still say to use in a well ventilated area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,173 Posts
That's a good deal! I got one a few weeks ago at TSC for $69.......Patch
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top