Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Moving downriver

13K views 207 replies 41 participants last post by  6667supersport 
#1 ·
It's official, our offer on a home in Wyandotte was accepted a week ago so I'm going to be a regular at the piers and parks in the area. Our new house is a mile from Bishop Park so that's probably where I'll start my exploration of what downriver has to offer. I have near zero experience fishing the area so it's all new to me. I know the white bass run in May so I'm definitely going to get in on that. What is there are far as perch fishing? I'm normally a trout guy but I will be far removed from the Paint Creek which I typically fish often in spring and summer. Who's gonna show me the ropes? I'll probably fish the Huron as well since it's not far from the new house. With all that said, the reel service will still be kicking and will run out of two locations. My place in Wyandotte and my partner's in Roseville.

#6 ·
Howdy neighbor, Im about 1 mile from Bishop myself, right behind Jerrys market near Oak street. You are going to love all the things going on downtown, especially in the summer. Walleye in the spring is when the river really shines, if you are shore fishing there are a few parks a bit furtther south of Bishop that may be less crowded. Good luck !

#8 ·
It's official, our offer on a home in Wyandotte was accepted a week ago so I'm going to be a regular at the piers and parks in the area. Our new house is a mile from Bishop Park so that's probably where I'll start my exploration of what downriver has to offer. I have near zero experience fishing the area so it's all new to me. I know the white bass run in May so I'm definitely going to get in on that. What is there are far as perch and bass fishing? I'm normally a trout guy but I will be far removed from the Paint Creek which I typically fish often in spring and summer. Who's gonna show me the ropes? I'll probably fish the Huron as well since it's not far from the new house. With all that said, the reel service will still be kicking and will run out of two locations. My place in Wyandotte and my partner's in Roseville.
Be happy to take you out in the spring to give you the lay of land so to speak. Congratulations on the new home

#10 ·
It's official, our offer on a home in Wyandotte was accepted a week ago so I'm going to be a regular at the piers and parks in the area. Our new house is a mile from Bishop Park so that's probably where I'll start my exploration of what downriver has to offer. I have near zero experience fishing the area so it's all new to me. I know the white bass run in May so I'm definitely going to get in on that. What is there are far as perch and bass fishing? I'm normally a trout guy but I will be far removed from the Paint Creek which I typically fish often in spring and summer. Who's gonna show me the ropes? I'll probably fish the Huron as well since it's not far from the new house. With all that said, the reel service will still be kicking and will run out of two locations. My place in Wyandotte and my partner's in Roseville.
The Huron river has good numbers of steelhead at certain times. I’m sure there is a FB group just like for the Clinton with lots of info

#11 ·
We are gonna have to cast Musky, lol ....yep that's a rock solid offer....but and ONLY if you can keep a spot TOP SECRET !!!!!....đź‘Ť....might take some time for me to gain your tust ?, lol....congrats too, downriver is nice and fishing is world class !!....cheers....

#17 ·
That's so Great! I bought my 1st house a couple miles from Bishop Park.
You're gunna luv living there with limitless fishing so close. Congrats!

#20 ·
I'd stay away from Portofino except for being on the water.

For BBQ locally there is roundhouse (trenton)

Mexican, there are several. I like Galindo's.

Not sure about Indian.

Greek... Auburn Cafe is good.

The other bars and restaurants from near Ecorse to the south end of Wyandotte are okay. Not anything special IMO.

#43 · (Edited)
My food recommendations:
Mexican take out, the food truck at Southfield and 4th in Ecorse. Mexican sit down Tijuana's on Dix in Lincoln Park.
Chinese take out China Star on Fort in Wyandotte. Chinese sit down kind of tough to choose one, I'll go with China Bowl on Dix in Lincoln Park.
Italian sit down Magdaleno's on Elm in downtown Wyandotte. I don't recommend Italian take out. Styrofoam boxes just don't do it justice.
Someone recommended the Auburn in Ecorse for Greek. Good choice. Me personally, Mom's Kitchen in Trenton has some good Greek dishes.
For Middle Eastern, the closest to you is probably Alex-Kabob on Eureka betwen Fort and Howard.
There are many Middle Eastern places Downriver. Myself, they are all about the same. None are exceptional over another. And I've ate at just about all of them.

#44 ·
My food recommendations:
Mexican take out, the food truck at Southfield and 4th in Ecorse. Mexican sit down Tijuana's on Dix in Lincoln Park.
Chinese take out China Star on Fort in Wyandotte. Chinese sit down kind of tough to choose one, I'll go with China Bowl on Dix in Lincoln Park.
Italian sit down Magdaleno's on Elm in downtown Wyandotte. I don't recommend Italian take out. Styrofoam boxes just don't do it justice.
Someone recommended the Auburn in Ecorse for Greek. Good choice. Me personally, Mom's Kitchen in Trenton has some good Greek dishes.
For Middle Eastern, the closest to you is probably Alex-Kabob on Eureka betwen Fort and Howard.
There are no Mediterranean places Downriver that I get excited about. They are all the same. Meh.
I forgot about Magdalenos. Good spot.

One that folks may pass by due to appearances... Sibley Gardens on Jefferson just north of King.

#47 ·
There are a lot of nice bars and restaurants in Wyandotte. My Father lived there forever and his main hobby was going to the bar.
No one has said it yet but to do any good fishing you need some kind of boat. When I was a teen we used to ride are bikes to Wyandotte to fish. Then, we started renting boats from Smith's out on GI. The shore fishing just does not cut it.
I have a few boats but I still get out in the kayak. Fishing out of a kayak is tough, but at least you are out on the water. There are a few put-ins in Wyandotte. With the strong current, and occasional winds and boat traffic you'll need to learn how to paddle. If you get out there in a ten foot boat that you can not keep going straight you will not do well.
Few if any folks talk about fishing for steelhead on the Huron. I gave up on it a few years ago after making nine trips and only hooking one fish. I used a canoe with a small outboard. We would see a guy with a sweet river boat that would get a few. He knew how to fish it.

#49 ·
There are a lot of nice bars and restaurants in Wyandotte. My Father lived there forever and his main hobby was going to the bar.
Wyandotte's one of those towns you hear about that supposedly had "more bars per capita" than almost anywhere else back in the day. Still lots of "corner bars" there from back when practically every city block had one, commonly operating from the downstairs or front room portion of a home.

Reactions: vsmorgantown
#50 ·
Tincan I live on Huron River I can show you the spots and even have stuff to catch them just don't do it any more. I have a trick bag full of tying stuff glow paints flash etc.and a co2 vest if interested. I will even take you on boat in summer to show you around. I know they put a new peir in on river suppose to be good for fishing. By the way you serviced 6 Garcia level winds for me 2 yrs ago. Hit me up if interested

#62 ·
Make sure to visit andy s tackle box in melvindale for you fishing needs. The owner Richard is a great guy

#76 ·
Jeeze, I thought this was an outdoors forum, even more about fishing, no ?? lol....

I'm not too good at catching fish with a slice of pizza in one hand and a doobie in the other, lol !!!....

I'm sure your going to love Wyandotte and the whole area....it used to be a huge industrial rust pit, not so much anymore....mostly good people, good food, a lot of festivals and some great fishing as well....I'd still give a LOT to see it 500 years ago, just saying, lol....cheers....