Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Moving downriver

6920 188
It's official, our offer on a home in Wyandotte was accepted a week ago so I'm going to be a regular at the piers and parks in the area. Our new house is a mile from Bishop Park so that's probably where I'll start my exploration of what downriver has to offer. I have near zero experience fishing the area so it's all new to me. I know the white bass run in May so I'm definitely going to get in on that. What is there are far as perch fishing? I'm normally a trout guy but I will be far removed from the Paint Creek which I typically fish often in spring and summer. Who's gonna show me the ropes? I'll probably fish the Huron as well since it's not far from the new house. With all that said, the reel service will still be kicking and will run out of two locations. My place in Wyandotte and my partner's in Roseville.
101 - 120 of 189 Posts
Now that right there is funny ****.
Mom's at Fort and West has good breakfast, too.
But back to fishing, if you wanna catch spring walleye downriver, see if you can hook up with Fsamie1 (member on here). A couple of hours with him will show you what not to do. Lol
Guess I'm gonna have to slap together some reels for fishing the D. Most of my stuff is for fishing skinny trout water. I'm sure I can cobble a few together from the parts bin and get it going.
Reactions: sureshot006
Let us know if you need the Michigan-Sportsman membership to start a gofundme to chip in and buy you a new mullet wig to keep you from being harassed in the new neighborhood.
Or I could just grow myself one bitchin' skullet.
Let us know if you need the Michigan-Sportsman membership to start a gofundme to buy you a new mullet wig to keep you from being harassed in the new neighborhood.
Yeah, forget that feather weight stuff you brought on my boat….
Guess I'm gonna have to slap together some reels for fishing the D. Most of my stuff is for fishing skinny trout water. I'm sure I can cobble a few together from the parts bin and get it going.
Lil Wally's had the best bar burger there was back in the 70's (and Tilly's chili). Went to HS with several Wally's sons.
Like my Dad's old bar at the corner of Ford Ave (Northline) and 5th, Lil Wally's.
Reactions: vsmorgantown
It isn't the fish, it's the current. I can sling tiny stuff on Lake St Clair, but I do that in the D it's gonna blow way the F down and piss people off lol
Yeah, forget that feather weight stuff you brought on my boat….
Yes the burgers were my dads pride and joy and the chili was my moms. They both were very good cooks, they had to be raising 8 of us. I’m number 7 out of 8 and the sixth boy out of 6.
Lil Wally's had the best bar burger there was back in the 70's (and Tilly's chili). Went to HS with several Wally's sons.
I will be happy to take your trout equipment off your hands since it is just taking up space.
Downriver we catch "brown trout" after heavy rains.
I will be happy to take your trout equipment off your hands since it is just taking up space.
And don't forget your giant squid tackle. They get real big around here. Like magnum tube sock size.
Detroit River jellyfish
And don't forget your giant squid tackle. They get real big around here. Like magnum tube sock size.
Some Detroit River calamari.
Yeah they're a bit rubbery though
Some Detroit River calamari.
Ate lunch in Wally’s while doing repair work at Penwalt plant, many years ago. Wally’s was good but Penwalt not so much.
Yes the burgers were my dads pride and joy and the chili was my moms. They both were very good cooks, they had to be raising 8 of us. I’m number 7 out of 8 and the sixth boy out of 6.
Reactions: vsmorgantown
Pennwalt... that site was gone by the 90s wasn't it? Now the gold course?
Ate lunch in Wally’s while doing repair work at Penwalt plant, many years ago. Wally’s was good but Penwalt not so much.
Reactions: Fishindeer
Not sure when it went away. But it needed to sooner. Made good money working there but your clothes, boots carried that smell for awhile. Probably worked there in the late 80s maybe early 90s.
Pennwalt... that site was gone by the 90s wasn't it? Now the gold course?
@50incher we gotta get him on a decent musky with those baby reels so he doesn't break anything. I seem to have tweaked my reel handle on a hook set so I can't imagine the creek chub reels will hold up :p

I've started planning already. I will stand on a platform and identify high odds casts rather than casting for myself. I feel bad when I hoard them. But not TOO bad... :mischief:
I know of pennwalt and south works. There are sites still monitored and under remediation. It's crazy what was overlooked in the past.
Not sure when it went away. But it needed to sooner. Made good money working there but your clothes, boots carried that smell for awhile. Probably worked there in the late 80s maybe early 90s.
Yes lots of river water was used there. Probably coming in and back out.
I know of pennwalt and south works. There are sites still monitored and under remediation. It's crazy what was overlooked in the past.
101 - 120 of 189 Posts