Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Saturday night from 10pm -midnight, between 3 guys we had about 25 fish blow up our flies..... Unfortunately we landed only 4, 2 were fat 20 inch browns. The stretch we fished was dark until we moved downstream around the next bend, then the moon was absolutely blinding us with the light reflecting of the water. Our hook-up ratio (25 flushes, 4 fish landed) , was awful.... It was awesome to have your fly blow up just 15 feet away, but frustrating not to have more hook ups... Any ideas on how to have more hook ups while mousing??? Some coyotes were on a kill or going nuts over something not too far away from us, the sound they made was crazy .... Had a great time and plan on trying again in a couple weeks ... I have only moused a handful of times over the last couple of years, anybody with pointers on how to fish at night would be greatly appreciated....Thanks..

·
Registered
582 Posts
Nice job on the fish. Biggest tip I can give to increase hook ups is to basically not set the hook until you feel the line go tight, which I am still working on myself. Hard not to set the hook when those fish blow up on the fly like you normally would fishing drys.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Go to a bigger mouse and like said don't pick up until you feel weight I personally let the fish load the rod before I pick up.I had the same problem with small patterns switched bigger and I proudly stick 95% that bomb it. My go to pattern is 8" long

·
Registered
593 Posts
Gotta love it!! Nice job guys!

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Waiting to feel weight is good advice. If the fish flat out misses throw right back to the same spot, I've had 'em miss three times and nail it on the fourth. I always pinch the barb too, better penetration and easier to unhook in the dark.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts