Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well on a cold day I figured I would mount my kicker today and here is how it came out.. I could not mount it on the transon like I wanted because this is a short shaft motor so I had to put a kicker bracket on her.. I also put a transom adapter on so I could pull the whole kicker and kicker arm off the boat when I did not want it on there..

First off I wanted to find some kind of rubber I could put between the transom adapter and the boat so if later I wanted to remove the kicker and every thing it would not have scratched the transom up and I figure the rubber would also dapen any kicker vibration I might get from the kicker..

Well I went to the local car quest and found what is called a Static strap nice hard rubber 1" wide and about 2' long rubber strap and it worked like a champ for the job I had intended it to do..

It took me awhile to figure out what side of the boat I wanted the kicker on and I decided to put it on the Starboard side for many reasons, the big one was that there is a live well on the port side and it would have made this job really hard so Starboard it is, here are a few pictures so you can see how it turned out.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Nice job, I like the rubber idea. I have to get a kicker mounted on my boat yet, I have the motor but still trying to decide on the bracket. I have a long shaft motor, but will still probably go with a mount like you put on.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
glnmiller said:
Nice job, I like the rubber idea. I have to get a kicker mounted on my boat yet, I have the motor but still trying to decide on the bracket. I have a long shaft motor, but will still probably go with a mount like you put on.
Hey there Glnmiller if you have a long shaft do you still need to have a kicker arm? I take it you cant just clamp it on the transom? I added the picture of the runner peice I was talking about.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Slick fishing said:
Hey there Glnmiller if you have a long shaft do you still need to have a kicker arm? I take it you cant just clamp it on the transom? I added the picture of the runner peice I was talking about.. Cya Slick
My new boat is fibreglass, so I will need to add some type of mount for the kicker, and I was thinking being able to raise the kicker up would be nice when using the main motor to have less drag.

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Thats a nice looking job Slick.........nice job, nice motor and nice boat.........now when we going fishin??

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wally-eye said:
Thats a nice looking job Slick.........nice job, nice motor and nice boat.........now when we going fishin??

You know how to get a hold of me there wally-eye, just give me a shout this summer and we will go, all members from this site are welcome on my boat not all at once:lol:.. I also have a feeling you wont be going home empty handed;).. Cya Slick

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hey slick...Have the same set up. You need to put a bolt through the bracket to hold it in place. I learned it the hard way. I lifted the motor to the run position and the bracket and all slid up. I was holding 100 pounds of motor that no longer was attached to the boat. I thought I was going to have a hernia by the time I got it back into the bracket. Just a heads up. Looks like a good install.

Wayne

·
Premium Member
12,815 Posts
Nice looking set up.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys it went togeather nicley today..

Take five I could see that happening, so yes a bolt or lock will be put in that hole here soon..

As for steering I havent decided yet on what I am going to do but I am working on it.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wanna thank Mike H for giving me the kicker arm, I very much apperciate it, send me a Pm when you have time this summer for a walleye trip..

Take five the bolt is in place, I did not wanna take a chance and forget about it..

Lipripper yes I am thinking about getting one of those nice and simple.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright guys now my question is how can I make my kicker theft proof? Like to hear your ideas.. Cya Slick

·
Registered
454 Posts
Some Master padlocks will fit those same holes that you put the bolt through. Makes for a good set up but the lock is still suseptible to bolt cutters.

Wayne

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a lock on my outboard that is a piece of channel steel that slides over the clampping handles and accepts a padlock on 1 end. Don't know where you buy them tho, it came with my motor.

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just put this on the kicker think this will be enough or should I put a cable going from the kicker to some thing? I might just be paranoid but has anyone ever had the clamps work loose? I figure with this lock they wont be able to work them self loose or back them self off in any way..Cya Slick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts