Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...Went out to Stanley Rd late this morning to tightline some cut bait. I use a sinker slide w/2 oz. sinker, about 3ft of dacron braid leader and a 2/0 hook with a hunk of perch. Wing it waaaaay out, stick the rod in the holder and wait for the bell to ring...

Sat there with my face hangin' out for over 3 hours, and nothin'. Figured I'd seen enough, and went to reel in my lines. First line seemed a little hung up, so I pulled it loose and started reeling, when my line starts moving slowly left. Not thrashing or pulling hard, and the bell hadn't been ringing, so I figured I might have a little snapper or softshell, right? Wrong-o, I see a decent size pike come up! the real surprise was after I get him in the net...Now this is a 27-28" fish, and there are fresh bite marks on both sides of it's body behind the vent area, and those bite marks were a good 7" or more apart! Now I don't know if he was lying there and just bit my bait because it started moving, or if it had been holding onto it for a while, but by the lack of fight, I'd say those bites had taken the starch out of him. Anyway, I gave him to another fisherman. There were a couple boats at the dock and we were all kinda stunned by the whole episode, and especially the size of those bites. That had to be a 50" pike or musky that made those wounds. I'll have to start putting some live bait rigs out...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts