Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started a yamaha jet the other day, its about 5 years old. air temp was about 30 degrees, the alarm went off for about a minute, then turned it off and restarted it and alarm did not come back on, any ideas? the motor had not been started in a while. think the cold weather/water played a part. the motor was peeing out water and I know it wasn't overheating, since we just started it and it did not happen the rest of the day.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I'm assuming an oil injected two-stroke?

Could be way off base but maybe the oil was so cold it was thicker than normal and the sensor thought something was wrong. That's the first thing that comes to my mind.

John

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's actually a 4 stroke, but I figured the same as you, maybe since it had not been ran in a while and it was cold, any other opinions?
like I said, we started and ran the motor a few more times thoughout the day with no problems

·
Banned
2,140 Posts
On a very damp foggy drizzley day,sometimes moisture will seep into the shift/throttle lever control housing. This is usually where the ALARM is located. Little you can do except somehow cover the housing so no more moisture will get in. It's a pain listening to that sound. Also a heavy cover on the housing will deaden the sound till the moisture finally escapes. I do not think the constant alarm will harm anything except maybe wear out the bellows,but then you gotta make certain nothing else is causing the alarm. Check--Check--and Re-Check. :yikes:

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
Owners manual would be a good start, some alarms have beeps and some have intermitant ones and they mean different things. You have temp., oil, to consider. Read the book and then you will know which one it's telling you, there may be a problem. I have had false alarms too and they will drive ya crazy if you dont figure them out.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
it's actually a 4 stroke, but I figured the same as you, maybe since it had not been ran in a while and it was cold, any other opinions?
like I said, we started and ran the motor a few more times thoughout the day with no problems
I would bet it was alarm for low oil.Oil was just cold and not flowing good at the start.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts