Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read many threads on which how deer movements are influenced by weather, the moon phase, the rut, etc., here for your reading pleasure are my personal (& unsolicited :cool:) observations on the factors which influence how many deer I see; in highest to least order:

1. Hours: Yes sitting longer means I see more deer, esp midday
2. Pressure: Other hunters pushing deer past me or driving them nocturnal
3. Rut: The increased movement duing the rut
4. Weather: Rain can be good, wind can be bad, temp, etc
5. Attitude: Do I think there are deer coming or not
6. Bait: Guess this one will go from almost least to non-existent
7. Moon Phase: Most of the deer I see aren't stargazers...

There may be other little factors, but there from most to least influencial are my observations from my own 35 years of hunting. Since I can only control a couple of them, I love the unknown adverture that comes from each and every fair chase hunt! :cool:

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Whether or not there are deer in my area - Think about it...;)
Ahhh......I guess I was assuming we would only hunt where the deer live.....I can see where that one could make a big difference.....:D

·
Premium Member
31,084 Posts
Ahhh......I guess I was assuming we would only hunt where the deer live.....I can see where that one could make a big difference.....:D
You shouldn't assume anything. There are plenty of folks on this forum that hunt where deer aren't or, are in very short supply.:rolleyes::dizzy::lol:

Big T

·
Premium Member
31,084 Posts
Having read many threads on which how deer movements are influenced by weather, the moon phase, the rut, etc., here for your reading pleasure are my personal (& unsolicited :cool:) observations on the factors which influence how many deer I see; in highest to least order:

2. Pressure: Other hunters pushing deer past me or driving them nocturnal
3. Rut: The increased movement duing the rut
For me #2, but the inverse. The less pressure I put on the deer the more I see.
The rut will always increase buck sightings so #3 is applicable.

Big T

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
Scent control- And not necessarily with products bought from a store. This includes playing the wind and using good hygiene practices. I tend to use natural scents found in the area I'm hunting as a cover scent. Pine needles and such work GREAT.
Stealthness- Using camo and natural cover to disguise your movement. Moving slow. When you think you are moving slow, slow down even more. Stillness should be 10x greater than movement.
Noise control- This goes hand in hand with the above mentioned. If they don't hear, see, or smell you, chances are you will see more deer.

·
Premium Member
31,084 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts