Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all, just wanted to post a report related to some fishing the girlfriend and i did a few days ago (saturday i believe). we got down to 6th street around 5 or 6pm, and rigged up the poles with the go to tackle...TUUUUUUUBES.

after fishing a little while, the bite started to turn on, and the fishing picked up again. go to colors saturday tended to be dark green. after seeing my girlfriend and i catch some fish, 3 hispanic kids fishing upstream (only the oldest one, an 8 year old, was actually fishing with his father) made their way down by us to strike up some conversation.

after the little guy 'pried' some information from me about my secret lures :lol:, i tossed him one of the tubes i'd been fishing with. since his dad didn't really seem knowledgeable about fishing (just tossing livers for catfish, didn't seem to realize there were other methods of fishing), i rigged up the tube best i could with what i was given (no jig head, just a hook, big cannonball weight...).

well we talked w/ the little guy for a little bit, teaching him some of the 'basics' of fishing for bass downtown, fish species (there were more gar surfacing than i'd ever seen in my life saturday), and even some ethics (not to cross lines) before we finally got him hooked up w/ some fish. my girlfriend carmen (lunkerchic101 on here) hooked into a decent smallie and handed our new buddy her rod...sure enough, a few minutes later the little guy landed his first bass (probably 12-13").

while he was reeling in the fish she hooked into, i grabbed HIS rod and held it for him, only to find out that he had a fish on his line as well now. after keeping the fish on a few minutes (so he could reel in the fish on my girlfriend's line), we gave him his rod back and just like that, the little guy went from catching no bass, to his first double.

before the father and kids left, our little buddy ended up catching one more bass ...on his own this time (with a little help from his dad).

unfortunately the little guy wasn't too into holding the fish he caught , so we didn't get any pictures. needless to say, fishing was quite productive, and a total blast for us.

we also helped this older guy down there who hadn't fished in a while. pretty much told him where to cast his worm/bobber and what to set it at and whammo, he was slaying the bass. (he was bummed that they weren't in season).

i think the little guy made my day/week/month when as he was leaving he told me 'you're really cool'. felt good to put a kid on some fish and get them hooked for life...i think when he found out that there are pro fisherman that can make 100s of thousands for winning tournaments, he got a new dream/inspiration. heh

·
Registered
113 Posts
somethin about fishing with them lil ones, i can feel every surge, run and headshake they do and get the added satisfation of making their day.
keep up the good work

·
Registered
564 Posts
You both did a good job in helping the kids. It was very nice of you Lunkerchic101 to hand you rod over to the little kid after you had a hook up and let him reel it in. Most people wouldn't think to do that. More kids need to get involved in the outdoors and away from the video games as they are our future for hunting and fishing.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nice storey thanks for sharing, just think you may have helped teach them something they can grow and love for the rest of their lives and let's hope they teach somebody the way you did!! Nice job you two!!!!

·
Registered
12,979 Posts
You know... I keep taking this "kid" fishing... but he just doesn't seem to catch much no matter how much I try!! I think it's the Ugly Sticks he insists on using! LOL!!!

Were you up on the wall with the little guy? Pretty good job he did getting the fish up if you were!

Oh, and Dave... did you offer the little guy some chew too? :D

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hahahaha mikey. i think one of the fish he caught was on the ugly steeeek.

and while i thought about offering the 8 year old a chew, i figured that may be a little counterproductive to bettering our youth.

funny though, gotta give you that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.