Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What fly or nymph has been your best producer in Michigan waters?
Overall I would say my best dry is a tan foam Caddis size 14 with a little yellow stone fly nymph as a close second.
Talking trout here - those bull bluegills don’t count.

·
Registered
599 Posts
What fly or nymph has been your best producer in Michigan waters?
Overall I would say my best dry is a tan foam Caddis size 14 with a little yellow stone fly nymph as a close second.
Talking trout here - those bull bluegills don’t count.
Floating or wet skunk. Nothing comes close, IMO.

·
Banned
1,051 Posts
For those "uneducated" brookies, Lime Trude

·
Registered
179 Posts
Some interesting answers so far... I would have to say-- a spinner. Fun to fish during a spinner fall of course, but once they hit the water they aren't going anywhere and the trout know that.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Soft hackles in various sizes and colors. Grease them or use some with wire to get it into the film.
Soft Hackles are my favorites for Trout and I also use them for Blue Gill. Depends on the day, but almost always start with Peacock/yellow.

Dry fly would have to be an Elk Hair Cadis.

Reactions: OH-YEAH!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Late spring thru fall for brooks and Browns. No 6 Winged Black ant. Once it gets chewed up, looks like a lot of different creepy crawlers. Tied with one piece of dyed black fox fur.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
I could tell you, but then, well, you know......

Actually my most productive fly is only that because of my home water. Good there, not so much on other beats. I'll leave it at that

Sent from my SM-G970U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

·
Registered
448 Posts
Skunk wet, or dry. Sulphur emerger

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Some might not like this one, but i have caught more fish of many species on a clown egg than any other fly. if were talking "fly" flies i have a giant black stone fly pattern that works well for me. and i tie what i equate to a rabbit fur zonker 3-5 inches in length for streamer.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I don't even have to think twice about what fly goes on first for Steelhead, it is always a Gartside Sparrow, depending on the time of the year as to what color. Even tie a smaller version for Blue Gill.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Underwater it would be an cone head sparkle olive bugger, and for a dry fly I would say I have had the most success with a parachute hendrickson tied on a klinkhammer hook, but that's mostly because usually I get up trout fishing more in the early season.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts