Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondered if anybody has had good success with one product over another. I hear that trophy rocks are good and so is buck jam. I was also wondering about buck grub, lucky buck, or antler king? Thanks.

·
Banned
19,596 Posts
Purina Antler Max Trophy Mineral supplement. When looking for mineral supplements, look for ones that have lower sodium levels and have selenium, copper & zinc in them. I'm talking about Purina mineral supplement, not the Purina Antler Max protein supplement. Be sure that if you use Protein supplements that the protein is coming from non-animal sources. Supplements made from animal protein is how mad cow was thought to have spread in the UK. I believe that all Purina Deer & Elk supplements are free of any animal protein.

I mix the Antler Max with Some crystallized softener salt and then rake it into the dirt so it's all mixed together. The deer hit it hard from around April to September and then they pretty much leave it alone.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I tries Champs this year for the 1st time, I used to use the Rock, but the Champs is an amazing product. It sure does attract the deer, they just tear it up!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Champs is also made in Michigan! Well, at least a Michigan Company!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just bought some Lucky Buck.
How have you been using it?
Kevin

·
Registered
57 Posts
Lucky Buck has been real good this year, just got back form my place this past weekend, one camera over the spot had 91 photos....

·
Registered
45 Posts
While other state that they have more attraction and others get hit harder, I find it more than coincidence that there have been that many trophy bucks shot over Lucky Buck mineral. I hear others talk about the amount of sodium, but I think that it limits the intake and rations out the mineral.

·
Registered
8,514 Posts
Take a look at the salt content.

Champs is about 23%. The rest are minerals. If a set of antlers were ground up , everthing you'd find is in Champs.

Lucky Buck is over 60%. Might as well buy a salt block for all the minerals your actually getting.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Where can I find champs. I'll put both out to see what happens.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a few bags of Champs at the Gaylord Jay's Sporting Goods! Do a Google search for Champs Minerals and you'll find their website with dealers who sell it!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks.
I am not to far from there in Atlanta. I wonder if the Elk will use it?

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had 4 Bulls in it on Saturday! So I would say yes, the Elk will use it!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I find it interesting that you guys are commenting on the amount of salt in Lucky Buck. It's interesting becasue there is a great article on QDMA's website that says that you don't want to give the deer too much salt however you should start out with a mix that has a lot of salt. Then, the article says that you should actually see a decrease in the usage of it by deer and find something that has less salt in it. So I think that it might be to our advantage to use Lucky Buck to start out with and then change to something else after they find it. I am also considering putting one of those Antler King Hi-Protein blocks down since there is a bunch of good stuff in there and not a lot of salt. I am hopefully going up to my place this weekend armed and dangerous. I got a new Cuddeback Expert, and I will be getting some Buck Jam, a protein block, and some Lucky Buck. I am interested to see how the deer react to all this stuff I am going to put down. Hopefully my Cuddeback will let me know and I can post some pics if I get some. By the way here is the link to that article. http://www.qdma.com/articles/details.asp?id=15

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
I bought my first pails of Lucky Buck (when I was with RMW) in March. I cleared out 5 spots on my 100 acre property (down to the dirt) and put it down one day late in March. I also raked it into the soil. The next morning, every spot had been hit by deer, including some very nice deer tracks that I am sure are from deer older than 3.5 years of age. I have freshened it up once since then about 3 weeks ago.

Since then, they have been hitting it every single day. (bucks and does) I think they love the smell of the stuff, it is like cherry Koolaid. I even like the smell of the empty pails in my truck.

I have tried several other product but not Champs. I am going to try that here in the next few weeks though after reading this to see how it compares.

I am not convinced that it really helps all that well with the antler growth thing, but I can see where the does need it this time year for fawning and when I get my Wildlife Eye setup on a couple of spots this summer, it is going to make for some interesting photography. I go out to my property at least 3 times a week to check on my food plots and everytime I have checked on the Lucky Buck, they are hitting it. So far, I am impressed.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
This is my 2nd year using lucky buck and my third yr doing food plots and last yr I saw mass on a couple of bucks like I have never seen in the area before . Now I think the food plots "clover/chicory" in the spring probably have allot to do with it but i don't think the minerals hurt . I have also used some bags of mineral from tractor supply that have selenium in it , they did not hit it as well, but being the cheap ***** that I am I mixed a pail of lucky buck with a 50 lb bag and the deer seemed just as happy with it as just lucky buck

1 - 20 of 37 Posts