Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Someone asking size or fish limits, read the book or stay home.

2. Two boaters trying to describe where they are by Landmarks that or 5 or more miles away. If you come out on the Great Lakes, get a GPS. All the funny little numbers mean something.

· Registered
343 Posts
You must have been on Erie this weekend, where the chatter was especially inane! The funniest ones had to do with two boats trying to find each other. One was just coming out, and the other was catching a few fish. The guy catching the fish was directing the new boat...but as you mentioned, was intent on NOT using any possibly usable information in directing his buddy. So all you hear is "I am fishing out from where Uncle Eddie caught those ones last year"...or "Can you see a sailboat from where you are?" ...or "turn sideways and then I will know that is your boat!" :dizzy:

The funny thing is, EVERYBODY was getting fish this weekend. There was absolutely no reason to act so secretive. There are so many Walleyes in Erie right now that it is scary. We really live on a great fishery!

· Premium Member
5,544 Posts
Moonlighting said:
2. Two boaters trying to describe where they are by Landmarks that or 5 or more miles away. If you come out on the Great Lakes, get a GPS. All the funny little numbers mean something.
Last year on LSC there was a convoy going over to Canada and the one guy was trying to describe is position by saying that he was "right in line with the sun". Too funny.:lol:

· Registered
4,602 Posts
1) How bout two women cackling to each other on the radio for 5-6 minutes at a time, about what they are making for dinner, or who's coming to their campsite that night, etc....really, get a cell phone.

2) The idiots that believe they are the only ones on the lake catching fish using their secret color...."Remember that lure I showed you yesterday, that's the one.....uh...uh...(sound of an idiot drooling) :bash:

· Registered
7,143 Posts
Here's one for you from the Bay this past weekend. The guy is in a Brown Star Craft. He launched out of Hoyles Marina and is broke down out by the Spark Plug... (darn near ten miles) calling for help. I answer as we had already caught our fifteen fish and figured we would do our good deed for the day. I call to him and ask, what are your numbers so we can find you? His answer and this is no joke he says MC...so I say to him no your gps numbers and his reply is I don't have a gps. I turned off the radio.

· Registered
662 Posts
give em a break guys, we have not had gps for that long.:rant: if you get stuck out there and your batteries die on your hand held gps (like mine did 3 years ago). i would hope a ship to shore would still work to get some help:confused:

· Registered
9,818 Posts
i hate when people have custom marked maps with friends and they are hitting fish. they speak to each other like "i've been hitting em hard near spot 2" and if its been a slow day for you... thats FREAKIN ANNOYING! if you have secret spots, call each other on the cell so at least i don't have to hear about guys catchin fish in spots that I have no idea about on a public medium.

· Registered
4,602 Posts
OOOPS! I forgot the most annoying thing ever to come across the squak box...the guy that leans into his mic while running out in his boat, you get to hear the engine running, talk about where to go, etc. A close second to this is hearing someone with a bad radio/anteena and they insist on asking a billion people for radio checks.

· Registered
5,101 Posts
These are the same people that screw up the launch sites, block the harbor, and don't know the rules of the road. Send them to boaters safety class. Most do not have a clue. A boaters class should be mandatory, before a registration is issued. A 2 minute radio conversation should cover all but emergency needs. I have heard radio conversations go on for over 1/2 hour. W T H.:(

· Registered
467 Posts
Sunday, one lady was on the radio for every fish she caught. " we caught another poop head " was said about 40 times! I just think that when the ladies are away from home they miss the telephone and it just kills them not to be talking to someone!
I also think that "radio check" is just a trick, because usually the next question is " hows the fishing, and where are you at! "

· Registered
434 Posts
Some thoughts about this post on Marine VHF Radios and other observations:

1. VHF is NOT a CB. There is proper protocol for hailing and replying. Review the laws as provided below. "Breaker-Breaker good buddy", prolonged chatter, and meaningless conversation is not proper VHF protocol regardless of which channel you operate on

2. If your VHF is on, you must maintain a watch on channel 16, the international hailing and distress channel.

One other observation, it is the LAW that you MUST render assistance on the water to any vessel that is in distress. “Turning off the radio” is not considered rendering assistance.

VHF Radio

If anyone is interested in the Michigan Boating Laws and Responsibilities Book, check this out http://www.boat-ed.com/mi/handbook/boater_education.htm or email me with your address and I will send you a soft cover version.

· Registered
151 Posts
We (Coasties) get pretty annoyed to the people doing radio checks on 16 and especially the people who try and have a conversation on 16. As far as Boating education classes I have a list of classes this spring into the summer hosted by the Coast Guard Auxilliary. If anyone is interested just IM me.

· Registered
151 Posts
Actually there is only two classes left!

Michigan Pleasure Boating Course
Allen Park Recreation Center
158000 White Street
Allen Park, Mi
313-928-0771
Class 1 - May 31 thru June 7th
Class 2 - July 9th thru July 12th

If you are new to boating or have been saving up and finally bought that nice fishing boat you've always wanted this is a good place to start and learn a few things to keep you safe!

· Registered
2,540 Posts
I agree with all of the above. If you want to have a conversation-use a cell phone!. I also agree with the fish are everywhere. Also, if you are catching fish, why not let everyone know what you are catching them on? It's not like they are going to fish out Lake Erie that day!

Jim

· Registered
814 Posts
As a group I think the sailboaters are the worst. There is nothing worse then a couple of blow boaters going on and on about how many knots they are making, how they got an extra 1/2 knot by tightening up the jib, and how they plan to make harbor by cocktail hour at the club!

And this is just the beginning...Dont even get me started on the idiots who are under motor power, but have sails up and flappin', but still think they have the right of way while I'm pulling a full core at 2 mph on an empty lake!:rant:

· Registered
3,961 Posts
thanks for the link, I don't have my own boat yet but I like to be up on things when we borrow or out on someone elses.

Also does Michigan have on-line boaters safty yet?

#edit
never mind found it on the link

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.