Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am debating on purchasing a hunting pistol for next year. I want to buy the TC Encore Pistol but do not know which cal. will be best. I am looking for exceptional distance with of course enough power drop a large white tail. I just want to challenge myself with the long shot since my property has exceptionally long distance shooting on it. Was just curiosu what cal. would be best and if anyone has shot or had a friend with any of the encore pistols do you know what kind of accuracy you can get out of the pistols at say 150+ yds or is that out of its range capabilities.

Any info would be great since I'm just starting to get into pistol hunting. I really wanna shoot far though!

·
Registered
11,728 Posts
A number of calibers will fit the bill for those 150 yard shots. Since you are just now starting off with handgun hunting be ready for a lot of practice, a lot, with whatever caliber you choose.

Handgun hunting is a challenge and is very rewarding.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you have some money look at the smith and wesson 460. They claim it will shot groupings at 200 yards. Another great thing about this gun is it will also shoot 454 casuall and 45 L.C. I really like mine. With the weight and porting it doesn't kick any worse than a 44 magnum. Just my two cents:D

·
Registered
328 Posts
If your looking for a pistol that can shoot far I was say take a look at the smith and wesson 460. They claim it shoots groupings at 200 yards. Another cool thing is that it can also shoot 454 casuall and 45 L.C. I really like mine. With the weight and porting it doesn't kick any worse than a 44 magnum. Just my two cents:D

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have watched the shilloutte shooters at the range a few times and they all seem to be shooting encore's or contenders they can knock down the ram and turkey targets pretty regular at 200 yrd's.But there is a difference between a target and making a clean kill at that kind of distance, takes a lot of skill.100 yrd's is a long shot for a short barrel.Looks like a lot of fun and they sure seem to have a pretty good time with it.I would try to look up some one that has that kind of experience or some of there web sites for more info.good luck and have some fun with it.try www.ihmsa.org or www.lasc.us

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
The Encore is capable of phenomenal accuracy beyond 200 yards with the right loads.

15" .308 Win barrels are very popular on Encore frames. [The Encore can take major rifle calibers where the Contender cannot.] Do not limit yourself to handgun calibers, especially for longer range shooting.

My advice: If you do not handload stay with a rimmed cartridge. The Encore/Contender can have some headspacing issues with bottleneck cases if not sized perfectly to your barrel/frame gap. You can use the 30/30, 45/70, .444 Marlin, etc to great effect.

If you do handload look at some of the wildcat cartridges developed specifically for these guns. The JDJ family of calibers uses rimmed cases and brass and dies are easy to find. The TCU calibers were developed by T/C for their own guns. Other wildcat calibers can be had with custom barrels from Bullberry, Mike Bellm, David White, and others who make up the dedicated Encore/Contender fraternity.

Please check out www.bellmtcs.com for some very useful reading and learning.

·
Registered
694 Posts
You never said where in Michigan that you hunt, there is a limitation on the caliber that you can use in Southern Michigan but I'm not sure on the details.

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
Firepower, check you PM box.

in southern MI shotgun zone, you cannot use cartridges that are bottlenecked, but straightwalled cartridges are legal..., the .444, .45-70, .44 mag etc. are legal

·
Registered
635 Posts
I would say any caliber out of any gun can shoot better than most average shooters are capable of shooting. Pick one that is suitable for the area, straightwalled or bottleneck cartridge, and keep practicing.

I can put my 44 mag in a 6 inch circle all day long at 100 yards with little effort. 4" if I really want to "put'em in there".

·
Registered
91 Posts
You did not mention if you shoot handguns now. If not, I would get a good .22 pistol and put several bricks of ammo thru it before you buy a big bore gun. It takes a substantial amount of practice to become proficient with a handgun. If you own a handgun now, well ,buy another just for the fun of it ! :chillin:

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
My Encore 45-70 will shoot around an inch or so, and with handloads will strech your range quite a bit. The recoil is pretty impressive, though.
I shot a buck this year with it, and at 60 yards it did a pretty good job on it. The bullet penetrated the whole length of the animal, and was severly deformed. Needless to say, the animal didn't go anywhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts