Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my stands has some great bucks on camera, all morning photos, between 8 -9am. At this spot I don't have photos of these bucks during evening hours. Should I still focus on this stand for evening hunts, or scout another stand for evenings? Thanks in advanced for any opinions, and happy hunting!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Always best to have other stands up to rotate to so deer won't pattern you. I would try another spot for your evening hunts but be ready to change again as the deer movement changes. With the pre-rut and rut coming up everything changes. Also food availability changes deer movement ( acorns are a magnet in my area now but usually get cleaned up soon). Keep scouting and set up on hot deer sign. Good luck.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Always best to have other stands up to rotate to so deer won't pattern you. I would try another spot for your evening hunts but be ready to change again as the deer movement changes. With the pre-rut and rut coming up everything changes. Also food availability changes deer movement ( acorns are a magnet in my area now but usually get cleaned up soon). Keep scouting and set up on hot deer sign. Good luck.
I have other stands setup, but have been so focused on the one "hot" stand. I do not believe pressure to be a major issue since I can only hunt Saturday and Sundays due to work. The stand I am talking about is also filled with acorns (and squirrels). I just hate to sit in another stand at night and wonder if I should have decided to sit at the one with the best pictures.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts
I would hunt it at night also, starting soon as the mature bucks will m be moving more. Who knows maybe he is coming out in the evenings now and just not walking in front of that camera? As red wolf said only one wat find out

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
One of my stands has some great bucks on camera, all morning photos, between 8 -9am. At this spot I don't have photos of these bucks during evening hours. Should I still focus on this stand for evening hunts, or scout another stand for evenings? Thanks in advanced for any opinions, and happy hunting!
Trust your camera. It's not lying to you. If things change as the pre rut activity increases then go back to evening sits as well. If you have consistent daylight movement this time of year, act on it. It's very easy to burn a stand so use what's right in front of you...pictures. ;) Good luck. JMO.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Starting just about now the bucks should start to be looking for girlfriends. I try to spend as much time as is possible on stand. Problem is it's windy and is supposed to be the next few days. It puts a damper on it for me as the deer don't seem to move as much in the wind. Not to mention the old trees swaying in the wind. kind of spooky for me, don't need one on my head. Anyone notice the lack of movement other than me?

·
Registered
13,465 Posts
MRI - As Grant Woods puts it - Most Recent Information. If I'm not seeing target bucks on camera during PM hours I would limit my hunts at that stand to only morning hunts in order to reduce pressure on that stand. When you start seeing afternoon movement near that stand then the MRI tells you to hunt it.

If you are going to put pressure on a good stand, try to do it during the pre-rut when the odds are in your favor rather than burning it out before the big dance.

That isn't to say that you wouldn't maybe get lucky and sit the stand the first time Mr Big comes by...but the more times you hunt the stand, the less effective it becomes. Timing is everything.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I would start hunting the area with more. Then one camera. Sure you need a camera on you shooting window call it. But scrapes. Runs . Very close by your current stand. The more info you have in that area the better off you are.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.