Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Read on a post here that someone sold Morels for $12.00 per pound. ARE YOU KIDDING ME ??? Surf the net and check out some of the prices being fetched. Some over $100.00 per pound. Michigan supposedly is loaded with Morels. There is a good website about Mich. Morels. Some sort of big festival in (Boyne City.. . is that right). Anyhow, here in SW PA we can start as early as 2nd wk of April sometime, weather dependant of course. They're are fairly hard to find here though. I guess it's all timing. Good Luck this year. P.S. anyone inclined to sell for $12.00/lb. GIVe ME A SHOUT !!! ;)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I'm putting together a publication on spots to find morels.. so.....if you would all send me your gps numbers on your favorite spots.........

:D

Mark

·
Registered
35,611 Posts
adjusted3

I think you have been eating toooooooooooo many false morels. :eek:

·
Registered
674 Posts
Glad to learn I'm not the only one who's already thinking MORELS! I sure hope all of this snow & rain = more morels. I've reads that a heavy snow pack does them good. Last year as dry as it was, however, was the best for me.

·
Registered
220 Posts
had my first morel dream of the year. it wont be long now and we will all be in the woods. actually the early birds will hit the woods in about 25days. good luck to all.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
We were talking about the up coming PICKING season last night. Man, I can't wait!!It's one of our favorite spring time acctivities.We only did fair last year getting about 20 lbs.We came across a couple of killer spots but it was late in the season so we'll hit them early this year.I can hardly contain my excitment thinking about it............

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
start saving those onion sacks! I always look forward to my first meal of the year of fresh trout and morels!

·
Registered
404 Posts
You can generally get $12 an Ounce for Dried morels.

C'mon April!

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Are you guys telling me that you ill be hnting as early as late April in Michigan? I am in Indiana. And another thing, stop with the morel talk. Just makes it worse. Oh hell, bring em on!

·
Registered
674 Posts
ChapstickCharlie, yes every year I read of morels being found in late April. Even find some myself that time of the year. Typically it's best for me in early May, though. The strange thing is I would think that they would find them in the south first, then the north. But every year I read of finds in the north as early as I read of the finds in the south (Mi). There are 2 or 3 sites that come to mind regarding morel hunting in Mi.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
The earliest morel I've found in michigan was maybe 4 or 5 years ago. It was April 11th. We had a warm spell really early in the year.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I've seen pictures of morels growing next to piles of snow. I'm not good at keeping journals, so I can't say what the earliest morel I found was. I need to start keeping notes.

·
Registered
404 Posts
April 16th I picked some in the Mio area one year. Nearly froze my fingers off picking them.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Two years ago I found three on April 1 and it snowed on the 2nd. This is in extreme southwest michigan.

Almost every year we pick them on Opening Day of trout.....

Marc

·
IZ Kamakawiwo'ole lives!
5,131 Posts
My late buddy Larry "Tree" Lonik's Morel business is still in operation under the competent eye of some of his friends.

Tree's ever-popular Morel Weekends are still happening too !

For more info on morels, organized weekend hunts and seminars, see....

http://www.morelheaven.com/

·
Registered
220 Posts
the earliest that i have found morels was .... March 29, 2000 !!!! then it snowed and we were picking them in the snow. no lie!! some were actually fresh and some were frozen. hard to believe but true.

·
Registered
467 Posts
We picked a couple of real small ones in late March a few years ago. I always have my best picking for whites when my bud's leave for Canada on the 15th of May. They clean up on the fish, I clean up on the whites. I picked over 30 lbs. in less than 2 hours in one of my favorite spots 3 years ago. Filled the bath tub and both sinks! Man, it was like a dream! I came over the ridge and in this small clearing it looked like someone had planted them. There wasn't more than 6" separating them! Hands and knees!
ooh ooh I can't wait!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts