Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,167 Posts
After searching for a good recipe with wine and morels I found this. I adapted it some... DAAAAANG!
People would be paying some serious cash for this in a restaurant. Cooked a choice rib roast myself, was listed to go with NY strip steaks.

Meat was lightly olive-oiled and seasoned with kosher salt/cracked pepper and warmed to room temp then cooked at 325 until 158 degrees, about 3 hours 50 minutes
Oven times/temps will vary
I used a half recipe of this...Awesome!

1-2 tablespoons butter
1 medium shallot, minced
2 cups morels, not packed into the cup (if rehydrated save and strain soaking water)
1/2 cup white wine (Chardonay was good)
3 cups beef stock, (substitute some strained rehydrating liquid if dry morels are used)
1 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper, to taste
Sauté shallots over medium heat until translucent.
Add morels and a pinch of salt and dash of pepper. Sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add white wine and stock liquid and simmer until liquid is reduced by two thirds, about 20 minutes or so.
Add heavy cream. Lower heat and continue simmering for 20 minutes until sauce thickens stirring often.
Add a bit more cream or half n half in if you want a little more than you see there or your meat needs a little more time (I did). Season with salt & pepper.

·
Registered
8,127 Posts
That sounds excellent!!! I still have a bunch of dried morels that I havn't ate. I might give this a shot.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Awesome recipe Oldgrandman, I'm gonna give this a try only I'll have to do it with porcini mushrooms because I have no way to get the morels, (unless I get them on line).

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome recipe Oldgrandman, I'm gonna give this a try only I'll have to do it with porcini mushrooms because I have no way to get the morels, (unless I get them on line).
I have seen dried dark morels in some stores, my favorite and thats what I used. I think it is 3/4-1 oz. for about $14 dollars. Just about enough to do 1/2 of this recipe with if I remember right. FYI
I did a half recipe and it was "enough" ...so to speak ;). It is really rich and a little goes a long ways. I bet porchini would be equally as good. May try it myself now that you mentioned it.
Hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I found some dried morels once in a store in Huntsville, "Fresh Market", but I didn't buy them. I look everytime I go but no luck. I googled morels and found plenty of sites selling them. Most come from Canada. Maybe someone from this site would be willing to sell me a small amount so I can try them in this recipe.

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Ebay sells Morels. :)

We never find any either so I have to buy them.... I buy them fresh from here in michigan and dry them myself.
this Sauce sounds yummie I have to try this out :)))

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
ok so I went and bought a Standing Rib roast and of course I rememberd this Sauce here, tried it out....followed the Recipe exact ( did also need more Sauce)

OMG !!!!!!!! It is to die for !!

YOU MUST try this........ this is our NEW favorite Dish ! Also been requested for Christmas dinner already.

·
Woods and Water Rat
20,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Firecracker, glad you liked it. And I agree every person who can get some morels needs to try it. It just may be the best morel dish I ever had and is fairly easy. I almost wanted to slurp it up like soup :lol:
What is nice is you can use dried morels and in the winter, like for a holiday dinner, there is not much better then a tase of springtime. This recipe could win a contest I believe...

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
Oh i believe so too :) And my middle boy actually slurped it down ( the left over wasnt enought o keep)

I been looking for standing rib roasts.... must have one by 14 of Nov. when hubby comes home :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts