Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this on FB on the metro Detroit walleye stalkers page.....

Sorry to bring this up again as it’s a sensitive subject,, but wanted to share for safety reasons. I fished out of Bolles on Monday and encountered the net boat placing more nets in the area.

The one net that was reported is still there, about ½ mile out past the last set of buoys. It is now marked with red flags on each end now, little white markers showing top of net. There is now another one in front of the Mansion, running from about 16 ft deep and towards shore, marked with same red flags on each end. I also saw him putting a net in the water further south between the Mansion and TB Marina area, but didn’t get too close to see where exactly.

Just be careful if you go out of Bolles, looks like they plan on operating in that area for a while.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I launched out of bolles today and saw one net flag south of the channel buoys about 1/4-1/2 mile. It was foggy out too.

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
:confused:Sad that it seems as though these guys can just put their nets wherever whenever.
If they are species specific, I would guess that the Carp and species that they "legally" are allowed to catch are not in those waters NOW..maybe mid summer and spring when they spawn.
Sure hope they are not targeting any fish us SPORTSPEOPLE target.:mad:

·
Registered
62 Posts
They can, it's their business. Pay attention when driving your boat, it's not their fault. Who's fault is it when someone runs into a floating log while boating? These nets are clearly marked, I fished Friday and Sunday and seen all three of them while navigating the waters, guess what, I didn't hit any any of them.

·
Registered
611 Posts
They can, it's their business. Pay attention when driving your boat, it's not their fault. Who's fault is it when someone runs into a floating log while boating? These nets are clearly marked, I fished Friday and Sunday and seen all three of them while navigating the waters, guess what, I didn't hit any any of them.
try doing that at night and not hitting them.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
They're not always clearly marked - give it a couple months until this latest incident fades from memory. One end will be unmarked, crappy flags, flags laying in the water, etc... The nets are only marked because someone sank their boat and there is extra attention on them from DNR & CG - for now.

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
Wow..... We have a net advocate on board... Will add, glad you didn't run into any of them!

·
Banned
5,180 Posts
I would guess that the Carp and species that they "legally" are allowed to catch are not in those waters NOW..maybe mid summer and spring when they spawn.
Sure hope they are not targeting any fish us SPORTSPEOPLE target.:mad:
Thing that sucks about it as the Sportsmen will never know (whole truth)what or how much they take out of those nets...

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
I can recall back in the late 80's when a commercial netter docked inside Lost Peninsula Marina
got very upset when I tried to show my then 6yo son the fish in their barge, FROM MY BOAT.
I tried to show him from shore but was told to back away so we jumped in my boat that was docked there and I showed him the "Fishies".....they must have remembered me because of the comments that were made and yes my 6yo was hearing all.:mad: I guess "maybe" that my beard must have been what they remembered about me or just my good looks.:p
I lost ALL respect that day and know what kind of fish I saw going in coolers and what went into tanker trucks. The plates were from New York and YES DNR was "told" about it in person.;)
My son is now in his 30's and still recalls all the "fishies" that were in that barge and how many dead ones were floating.....SAD!
BTW....the following year they were not allowed to use the marina because of the floating dead fish.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts