Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you been seeing an awful lot more hunters this year than in the past?
A lot of you have been doing this longer than I have,but it seems to me in the past the hunter numbers tapered off after the first couple of weeks of the season.That hasn't happened this year,at least where I've been hunting.
It also seems the guys that have been out there are 50/50 of guys with a clue and guys that blast at every bird withing 100 yrds. of them.
I went this afternoon for a couple hours.Had the whole area to myself for an hour and a half.I had a few birds working,but nothing great.Landed six geese for the fun of it,hoping to keep them around for my buddy who's hunting in the morning.
At 4:30 two guys come out 100 yrd. downwind,no decoys and sitting on the shore with no blind at all.They shot a total of 5 times,4 times at birds out over 70 yrds from them and once at 3 birds that were 80 yards from me and coming down cupped up and they shoot :bash: I packed up and left at that point.
Last weekend we were competeing with 6 other groups on the little lake we've been hunting.Usually the first weekend of deer season you'd be all alone :confused:
Anyway,just wondering if you guys have seen the same thing or if I'm just having a rough year with the yahoos.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
lots more, almost 70%more than usual. and iv had the same problem w/ idiots shooting birds committed to my decoys cupped and dumpin fast. of course they dont even come close to hitting em. first year this has happend. i mean iv delt w/ sky busters but this kinda crap is jusy poo. oh well thats public hunting. good luck to ya.

G

·
Dean -

Nope...it ain't just you.

If you want to see stupidity personified, go hang out at the boat launch at Pontiac Lake at 8-9am on a Saturday morning.

·
Registered
331 Posts
we were out a few saturdays ago and i kid you not, 15 minutes from shooting time ending, a couple of 16 year olds come walking to our spot (knee deep water). there were birds all over the place but obviously they weren't coming in with these fools walking around. we asked them what the hell they were doing and they said they were setting up for the next day. we said you couldn't wait 15 minutes until shooting time was over?
this is only my 2nd year duck hunting, but when i wanted to get into it last year i had a buddy who had been duck hunting for years show me the ropes - proper gear, proper techniques, proper etiquette, etc.
one day last year we were supposed to go one morning but he had to cancel, i still wanted to go so i went by myself. when i got there, a couple of guys were already set up in our usual spot on this little island, so i went to set up on the opposite side. one of the guys came over and explained to me how i shouldn't set up over there because of the wind direction and invited me over to hunt there spot with them. that was very nice of them. i think most wouldn't have done anything and probably sat their and laughed at what an idiot i was for setting up over there.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
I could tell you stories all day long about the Yahoos ,,,It gets really old fast..

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Think a lot of it is carry-over from the almost too easy early goose season. As long as it stays fairly warm and nice there are plenty of people out simply going hunting, seems when it starts getting a little nasty out most yahoo's go away, which is fine with me. It stayed warm for a long time this fall and they were out in mass. Love when they start to wade and stalk your spread early, early in the morning. Think I must put out a decent rig, then again they probably will shoot anything that even remotely looks like a duck anyway.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Im all for new people getting in our sport, but sometimes these are the downfalls of newbies that dont have the proper guideance from veteran hunters. All it will take is a few 30 day/3 ducks a day and they will be gone.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Sean,

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't that true... A couple 30 day seasons they all will be gone.

Kevlar

1 - 8 of 8 Posts