Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Man, it doesn't look like the moose are ever going to take off and really grow their numbers. What a shame.

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Moose and elk are regular visitors to the EUP. Canada is only a quick swim from Ontario.

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lol, yep. Must be the tough winters. They thrive in Canada/Alaska which are... Wait for it... Farther north than the UP!

Do you know if they have a higher concentration of wolves?

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
Do you know if they have a higher concentration of wolves?
Good question. I tried to look it up and it is tough to find data. I found an article that listed densities for ontario. Most of the studies were done in the 60 and 70'S. Ontario densities were 1 wolf per 7-25 SQ miles depending on the year and area (refuge areas have higher density and there are some huge refuges in ontario). There are 16452 square miles in the UP and about 600 wolves. That is one wolf per 27 sq miles.

Personally I would have thought a bigger gap. I have been to ontario fishing twice and bear hunting once. I have heard wolves and had people in our group see them in ontario every time I have been.......I am in the UP alot and I have never seen or heard one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Alaska & Canada can thin out the wolf unlike Michigan. As far as numbers of wolves, I don't believe they know how to figure that one out ! At our camp in Iron county we see moose pretty much every trip. About 4yrs back my brother watched 4 bulls(3 mature 1 junior ) trying to breed a cow that had come back into heat Nov 15. Her calve even had its nose up her rear. Yes 6 moose nov 15&16 2010! He watched the 3 mature bulls fight at one time 80 yds away! We also had a hamstrung cow (right rear leg stuck straight out behind her) she around for 2 summers then no more. Last Aug I made it up with my son and family for a week. My son and I went for a quad ride,in less than an hour we had a cow & 2 calfs jump in the trail 60 yds away. Glad they jumped back in the bush! This Memorial weekend first day there less than an hour on the quad a bull jumped out of its bed 50 yds away! He had antlers 2 ft out of his head already! He's going to be a nice one if the wolf don't get him, and there was some jumbo wolf tracks in the area too. IMHO these wolfs need to be brought into check.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Alaska & Canada can thin out the wolf unlike Michigan. As far as numbers of wolves, I don't believe they know how to figure that one out ! At our camp in Iron county we see moose pretty much every trip. About 4yrs back my brother watched 4 bulls(3 mature 1 junior ) trying to breed a cow that had come back into heat Nov 15. Her calve even had its nose up her rear. Yes 6 moose nov 15&16 2010! He watched the 3 mature bulls fight at one time 80 yds away! We also had a hamstrung cow (right rear leg stuck straight out behind her) she around for 2 summers then no more. Last Aug I made it up with my son and family for a week. My son and I went for a quad ride,in less than an hour we had a cow & 2 calfs jump in the trail 60 yds away. Glad they jumped back in the bush! This Memorial weekend first day there less than an hour on the quad a bull jumped out of its bed 50 yds away! He had antlers 2 ft out of his head already! He's going to be a nice one if the wolf don't get him, and there was some jumbo wolf tracks in the area too. IMHO these wolfs need to be brought into check. Here's a pic my bro took nov 16 2010.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,242 Posts
I would doubt that UP wolves are a big impact on moose. Deer on the other hand is a different story. There are hundreds of thousand of deer and 400 moose. Wolves tend to stick with the hunting techniques that are successful in their environment. I doubt they are going after a moose unless it stumbles across a really easy target that is sick or injured.

·
Registered
36,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would doubt that UP wolves are a big impact on moose. Deer on the other hand is a different story. There are hundreds of thousand of deer and 400 moose. Wolves tend to stick with the hunting techniques that are successful in their environment. I doubt they are going after a moose unless it stumbles across a really easy target that is sick or injured.

Only if you include the NLP in the number of deer.

·
Registered
11,452 Posts
I got his drift when I read it, lol! Me thinks he meant the EUP is a short swim from Ontario....close enough!:)

·
Registered
827 Posts
Moose are not doing very well Ontario either, reduced quotas, closed areas, etc. Call it global warming, aboriginal over harvest, too many bears... whatever the reason moose numbers in Ontario are declining as well. The dream of a michigan moose hunt is just that. Wolves do eat Moose, especially calves so the uncontolled wolf numbers arare a factor

1 - 20 of 21 Posts